Palmer Fishing Tackle Specialities

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Palmer Fishing Tackle Specialities

Post by TemeLAD »

Good afternoon fellow TFF'ers - having just acquired a Palmer Float Case and realising they were made just a few miles from where I live now, I am interested to find out a little more about the company and their origins. I have established the company was run by a Mr P.C. Palmer but little else - does anyone know what else they manufactured?

How many different versions of the case were made? from dipping in to the internet I have found 3 versions: The Maroon & Cream one with alloy end caps, the one I have (see photos below) and a similar one with red plastic end caps - anyone have any idea what the chronology of these were?

I have also found reference to the float case in a 1948-9 copy of a Fields catalogue and I believe they were listed too by Tom Watsons though they do not appear in my 1963-4 version of this catalogue so if that is true then it must be in an earlier version. Did they ever advertise? I am not sure, I have found an earlier post made by LJM which showed a carded float and what appears to be an advert or flyer alongside it? and if they did advertise has anyone seen an image of the float case within the body of the advert.

If anyone can help illuminate my questions - thank you.

Best Regards

Les :Hat:
IMG_1974.jpg
IMG_1975.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Tizer
Chub

Re: Palmer Fishing Tackle Specialities

Post by Tizer »

There is a float called the palmer float,and I think there is on the bay at the moment

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Here you go Les. :Hat:

ImageImageImage
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

That would look good in any display cabinet

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

How many different versions of the case were made? from dipping in to the internet I have found 3 versions: The Maroon & Cream one with alloy end caps, the one I have (see photos below) and a similar one with red plastic end caps - anyone have any idea what the chronology of these were?

If I were to guess then the one with plastic end caps would be the latest. That would make yours the one before and this one probably the first. But then, what do I know?
Regards :Hat: ,
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Lovely display card Bob and likewise with the float case - thanks too for the suggested chronology, there is a logic to it that makes sense to me.

Tizer thanks for the heads up on the floats.

:cheers: Les
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

I wanted to buy one but on the net they felt a high price.Reelmaker

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

They had a patent on the float as well as a line greaser and a reel.Image
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Very interesting Harry thank you :Hat:

John Steinbeck

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Here is a picture of the bottom of these floats with the eye and pressed side view seam, showing how it was closed off to be airtight. :Hat:

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”