86 years ago today...

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

86 years ago today...

Post by Shaun Harrison »

86 years ago today Donald Leney released the first 50 x 5 1/2" to 8" carp into Redmire Pool. The rest is history.
We owe a lot to Donald for firing so many imaginations and so many subsequent hours of enthralling reading. Tonight I will raise a glass to Donald.

Liphook
Barbel

Re: 86 years ago today...

Post by Liphook »

Thanks for that Shaun. I too will raise a dram to the father of not only of UK carp angling but modern carp aquaculture :Hat:

Old Man Oakley
Roach

Post by Old Man Oakley »

Have any of you noticed this lot in the Wild Trout Trust auction, fishing for Leney carp and meeting his grandson

https://www.wildtrout.org/auction/one-d ... train-carp
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Old Man Oakley wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:10 pm Have any of you noticed this lot in the Wild Trout Trust auction, fishing for Leney carp and meeting his grandson

https://www.wildtrout.org/auction/one-d ... train-carp
I think it's actually Michael his son who ran the trout farm at Derby, rather than his grandson isn't it?

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Amazing stuff Shaun. Quite incredible how it all evolved. There are lots of farm ponds in Herefordshire that are superficially very similar to Redmire. I fish a couple of them for the roach, they also invariably contain carp, but nothing to write home about.....
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

It is amazing.
I had the privilege to see some of the Leney records last summer.
There is often confusion when talking of Leney's as if they were a particular strain. Leney stocked Galacian strain when he started stocking coarse fish (having only stocked trout before) but in later years he diversified and stocked a range of different carp strains.

“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Sadly I was not able to raise a glass to Mr Leney due to spending the night in the cab of my truck, but, I am parked up for the night not a handful of miles from redmire pool, so that will have to be my respect shown instead of a alcoholic beverage. In fact I spend a fair few nights of the year parked up at Ross on Wye services.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Return to “Redmire Pool”