Vintage British and American Lures. (MORE STUFF!)

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Kev D
Chub

Re: Vintage British and American Lures

Post by Kev D »

I keep looking at those Lindop rods ; there is 'something' about them but l have resisted🙂
Thanks for the wish of luck .
Rest assured ,if l catch anything at all on it l shall report!
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:27 pm A subject which has always interested me. I love the designs and the thought that has gone into many of the popular lures, American, Scandinavian and British.
As a kid I absolutely loved catching perch on spinners such as the Mepps spoons and Ondex. They still remain my favourites and a couple of the old Mackerel spinners still get taken along with me most times I go fishing, it's amazing how good they are for all predators. Oh yes, nearly forgot those little flicker or fly spoons that could be suspended under a float and held back in the flow of the river. I even had dace on one of those.

I confess, I haven't done it for years but it was always a great way to spend a day on the river and travelling light gives the opportunity to cover a lot of water. I really must get back out one of these days and relive it.
I remove the trebles from my lures nowadays and fit them out with a big single but any old display lures I have still have the trebles intact.

Here's a rare lure, gifted to me by a very kind forum member. I am sure many of you will probably know who made it but he did ask me to keep it quiet. I have it proudly on display with the Guiness float he also made me.

Lure collecting does seem to be getting more and more popular over here and the short lure casting rods seem to be gaining in popularity.
I restored this nice little, pre war "Allcocks Paramount" 5 foot casting rod a couple of years ago and never got round to catching a fish with it, I think I'll give it a go, maybe on the pier this year.

Wal.
Superb story and information Wal. I recall using Devon minnows and catching Perch on an old club lake during the 70's. I must say though I absolutely love that Guinness lure, that is special.

:Hat:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Hello Everyone

I picked up a new edition to my lure collection with this Rapala sinking balsa 'Countdown' plug from a car boot sale 2 weeks ago, and in very good condition I might add.

As you can see the lure is made under licence by Rapire Teo in Ireland.

I have also ordered a second hand copy of 'The Encylopedia of Lures, by Chris & Sue Harris, which I'm really looking forward to reading.

Stunner1901
Stickleback

Post by Stunner1901 »

Does anyone recognise any of these?

Bottom one is a weird thing. Very heavy head and a material body

Other 2 feel old, wooden, not much more to go on

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

As always any help greatly appreciated

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Don't recognise the pike fly but the plugs bring back memories.
The little plastic pike was one of Woolworths' Winfield offerings. I expect it was sold by other outlets but that's where mine came from .
Amazingly l still have it. I think it came as a set of three or four lures that also included a very light Rapalla clone
20200903_162438_resized.jpg
The wooden jointed plug brings back memories of a wintery afternoon back in the very early 70s.
My brother and l had been given plugs like your one for Chrismas a couple of years previously. They almost certainly came from our local sports shop which had a decent angling section. At the time we regarded all plugs as being something that Americans used but were a bit novel over here. I lost mine pretty swiftly but Dear Brother being only an occasional angler still had his when Dad took us to Arun just above the tidal section.
It was late winter ,we were kids, the water was fast and muddy ,we struggled for a bite. Eventually l found a bit of slack water next to the bank and managed to hook a roach or a dace ,or maybe a little chub. I'll never know for sure ,for as it flashed silver in the murky water something bigger rose beneath it and a pair of Alsatian -like jaws engulfed my catch.
I pleaded with Little Bro for the loan of his jointed plug and changed spools on my reel ( possibly an Intrepid Diplomat ; a reel so badly designed l've almost obliterated it from my mind.) to a heavier line.
First cast ; nothing. Second cast ; nothing . Though as l lifted the plug from the water l notice the pike almost beneath my feet,facing outward from the bank as if ready to ambush my wiggly enticer the next time it came past. Well that's what l told myself . I remember it perfectly . I also remember that it was a truly large pike.
So ,third cast ; a bit too energetic,into an overhanging clump of dead grasses a few yards up the bank. I gave a gentle tug. The plug fell in half at the middle joint and the head - end plopped into the water !
The pike just sunk from view, probably laughing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

My Grandfather visited Canada for the fishing in about 1960 and brought me back a little blue 'plug' of about an inch in size. It was a tiny thing but it fascinated me, then a few years later I was given a copy of Mr. Crabtree goes Fishing and the page with Bernard's illustration of plugs mesmerised me!

I did entertain a dream of collecting all the tackle shown in the opening credits of A Passion for Angling once.

Did you know the Chub Creek Bait Company supplied unpainted lures to Allcocks in Canada? Of all places I sourced one......in Sweden!

https://nobbystackle.files.wordpress.co ... w-lure.jpg

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Nobby wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:54 pm My Grandfather visited Canada for the fishing in about 1960 and brought me back a little blue 'plug' of about an inch in size. It was a tiny thing but it fascinated me, then a few years later I was given a copy of Mr. Crabtree goes Fishing and the page with Bernard's illustration of plugs mesmerised me!

I did entertain a dream of collecting all the tackle shown in the opening credits of A Passion for Angling once.

Did you know the Chub Creek Bait Company supplied unpainted lures to Allcocks in Canada? Of all places I sourced one......in Sweden!

https://nobbystackle.files.wordpress.co ... w-lure.jpg
Great memories Nobby and how certain things trigger an interest. I didn't know that, incredible information. I have read your blog many times and never noticed that.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I did consider creating an index for the blog, but concluded it was beyond me :-( It's all got a bit big now.

The Allcock, Laight and Westwood section on there was a bit wierd...it soon went off on a tangent to an unsolved murder ! And of course, eventually the factory burned down just like the UK one.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Nobby wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:23 am I did consider creating an index for the blog, but concluded it was beyond me :-( It's all got a bit big now.

The Allcock, Laight and Westwood section on there was a bit wierd...it soon went off on a tangent to an unsolved murder ! And of course, eventually the factory burned down just like the UK one.
Wow! Just read the section you mentioned Nobby. You couldn't make it up. What a history and role call, but an excellent read... It's so sad that not many if any of these great tackle manufactures are still around.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Nobby wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:23 am I did consider creating an index for the blog, but concluded it was beyond me :-( It's all got a bit big now.

I know it's going off the thread a bit. But I've just read about 'Servicing and improving the Mitchell 300 reel'. Very interested in how much difference it makes, I suppose how its lubricated on final assembly makes a lot of difference to, I'll certainly give it a try when I have the appropriate tools. It's a shame that Romsey Vintage tackle fair is postponed, it would have been good to try one of your serviced Mitchell's. But obviously we need to be rid of C19.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”