Vintage British and American Lures. (MORE STUFF!)

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Vintage British and American Lures

Post by Santiago »

Looks great. I have a Shakespeare Honeystick and and Alpha baitcaster from my dad. I must try them this summer.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Kev D wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:50 am
Kev D wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:04 pm
Mole-Patrol wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:39 pm Kev, You might still be able to get a hollow glass whip from the Poundshop that would make a telescopic light lure rod if fitted with a suitable handle.
I haven't seen any of those whips in Poundland for a while and none of the telescopic rods since Robson Green started selling them under his own name. I kid you not! But l did take the precaution of laying - in two or three of each "for the Grandchildren". 😁
On the other hand a solid glass version would be a bit more vintage, especially as l have an el cheapo, un branded but period , pressed ally(?) baitcasting reel with constantly engaged spool. The outfit would be crude but fun........ Another project!
Yesterday l spent all of an hour on the baitcaster project. The first few minutes were wasted experimenting with a bent bit of tube to replicate the ergonomics of a cranked handle ; rejected in favour of a more comfortable straight trigger grip. The latter is made from scrap copper tube the hollow trigger itself being infilled with a triangle of cork .
The handle is made from scrap sections from three different rod butts and the whole thing still needs a bit of a clean up so it doesn't look quite so much like the cut and shut job it is

The rod itself is a recycled 6' solid glass horse schooling whip.
I'm going to have to buy some rings but there's no hurry .
It would have been a fun addition to our holiday gear but our campsite confirmed only a few days ago that they wouldn't be operating this summer whatever the lock or not lockdown situation. It would have been my first holiday for about 15 years🙂
20200509_221845_resized.jpg20200509_221902_resized.jpg20200508_145833_resized_1.jpg
It'll be nice to see whence it's finished Kev. :Thumb:

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Tonytoned wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:45 pm
Kev D wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:50 am
Kev D wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:04 pm
Mole-Patrol wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:39 pm Kev, You might still be able to get a hollow glass whip from the Poundshop that would make a telescopic light lure rod if fitted with a suitable handle.
I haven't seen any of those whips in Poundland for a while and none of the telescopic rods since Robson Green started selling them under his own name. I kid you not! But l did take the precaution of laying - in two or three of each "for the Grandchildren". 😁
On the other hand a solid glass version would be a bit more vintage, especially as l have an el cheapo, un branded but period , pressed ally(?) baitcasting reel with constantly engaged spool. The outfit would be crude but fun........ Another project!
Yesterday l spent all of an hour on the baitcaster project. The first few minutes were wasted experimenting with a bent bit of tube to replicate the ergonomics of a cranked handle ; rejected in favour of a more comfortable straight trigger grip. The latter is made from scrap copper tube the hollow trigger itself being infilled with a triangle of cork .
The handle is made from scrap sections from three different rod butts and the whole thing still needs a bit of a clean up so it doesn't look quite so much like the cut and shut job it is

The rod itself is a recycled 6' solid glass horse schooling whip.
I'm going to have to buy some rings but there's no hurry .
It would have been a fun addition to our holiday gear but our campsite confirmed only a few days ago that they wouldn't be operating this summer whatever the lock or not lockdown situation. It would have been my first holiday for about 15 years🙂
20200509_221845_resized.jpg20200509_221902_resized.jpg20200508_145833_resized_1.jpg
It'll be nice to see whence it's finished Kev. :Thumb:
I'm making it so though l promise to post a photo, just dpn't expect any close - ups🙈🙂
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

A subject which has always interested me. I love the designs and the thought that has gone into many of the popular lures, American, Scandinavian and British.
As a kid I absolutely loved catching perch on spinners such as the Mepps spoons and Ondex. They still remain my favourites and a couple of the old Mackerel spinners still get taken along with me most times I go fishing, it's amazing how good they are for all predators. Oh yes, nearly forgot those little flicker or fly spoons that could be suspended under a float and held back in the flow of the river. I even had dace on one of those.

I confess, I haven't done it for years but it was always a great way to spend a day on the river and travelling light gives the opportunity to cover a lot of water. I really must get back out one of these days and relive it.
I remove the trebles from my lures nowadays and fit them out with a big single but any old display lures I have still have the trebles intact.

Here's a rare lure, gifted to me by a very kind forum member. I am sure many of you will probably know who made it but he did ask me to keep it quiet. I have it proudly on display with the Guiness float he also made me.

Lure collecting does seem to be getting more and more popular over here and the short lure casting rods seem to be gaining in popularity.
I restored this nice little, pre war "Allcocks Paramount" 5 foot casting rod a couple of years ago and never got round to catching a fish with it, I think I'll give it a go, maybe on the pier this year.

Wal.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:27 pm A subject which has always interested me. I love the designs and the thought that has gone into many of the popular lures, American, Scandinavian and British.
As a kid I absolutely loved catching perch on spinners such as the Mepps spoons and Ondex. They still remain my favourites and a couple of the old Mackerel spinners still get taken along with me most times I go fishing, it's amazing how good they are for all predators. Oh yes, nearly forgot those little flicker or fly spoons that could be suspended under a float and held back in the flow of the river. I even had dace on one of those.

I confess, I haven't done it for years but it was always a great way to spend a day on the river and travelling light gives the opportunity to cover a lot of water. I really must get back out one of these days and relive it.
I remove the trebles from my lures nowadays and fit them out with a big single but any old display lures I have still have the trebles intact.

Here's a rare lure, gifted to me by a very kind forum member. I am sure many of you will probably know who made it but he did ask me to keep it quiet. I have it proudly on display with the Guiness float he also made me.

Lure collecting does seem to be getting more and more popular over here and the short lure casting rods seem to be gaining in popularity.
I restored this nice little, pre war "Allcocks Paramount" 5 foot casting rod a couple of years ago and never got round to catching a fish with it, I think I'll give it a go, maybe on the pier this year.

Wal.
That is a really neat little rod. I have the Allcocks spinners to match.
20200512_205441_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Post by NorfolkTinca »

This brings back memories of my brief time working at Harris Angling. Surrounded by lures that I now have to search eBay for! I managed to buy a Heddon Meadow Mouse the other day, but the Mean Diamond (like a Shakespeare Big S, but ten times better) still eludes me, and I cast my one and only with a degree of caution.
My biggest fish is not necessarily my best

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

NorfolkTinca wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:26 pm This brings back memories of my brief time working at Harris Angling. Surrounded by lures that I now have to search eBay for! I managed to buy a Heddon Meadow Mouse the other day, but the Mean Diamond (like a Shakespeare Big S, but ten times better) still eludes me, and I cast my one and only with a degree of caution.
Great memories NorfolkTinca. Would be nice to see some images if you can. Welcome to the forum as well

:Hat:

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Post by NorfolkTinca »

Great memories NorfolkTinca. Would be nice to see some images if you can. Welcome to the forum as well

[/quote]

Thank you.
My biggest fish is not necessarily my best

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

The recycled schooling whip baitcaster is as finished as it will ever be thanks to a set of el cheapo rings from the bay of temptation. If their spacing looks a little odd it's because l placed them according to the curve of the rod under load (ever the optimist 🦈🙂) rather than aesthetically .
I'm actually getting twitchy about the 16th!
20200518_124101_resized_1.jpg
20200518_121014_resized_1.jpg
20200518_125554_resized_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Kev D wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:13 pm The recycled schooling whip baitcaster is as finished as it will ever be thanks to a set of el cheapo rings from the bay of temptation. If their spacing looks a little odd it's because l placed them according to the curve of the rod under load (ever the optimist 🦈🙂) rather than aesthetically .
I'm actually getting twitchy about the 16th!

Nice one Kev, if it does the job it doesn't matter what it looks like. Look forward to hearing and seeing reports on how things went. Good luck and tightlines Sir.

Here's my two old split cane spinning rods. An Octospin 8ft refurbed and a Lindop 8ft. I have actually used both of these for pike fishing a year or two back.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”