Heacham River, Norfolk

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Bigoll
Silver Bream

Heacham River, Norfolk

Post by Bigoll »

Hello all. I've fished the Heacham River (also called the River Hitch and River Heacham, it seems, depending who you listen to) a few times as it's about a mile from my folks' place. The section which runs between Heacham's north and south beach access roads is some of the most well-stocked small river water I've ever seen, with thick shoals of dace - which grow to sizes I've not seen elsewhere - and other silvers. I've caught plenty of those, plus eels, and have witnessed fellow anglers catching bream and carp.

I was just wondering if anyone fishes it more regularly, or different stretches of it, or simply has any memories or thoughts about this cracking little river.

River Roach

Re: Heacham River, Norfolk

Post by River Roach »

I practically live In Heacham an I still havnt had a chance to fish the river. Iv been up a down there a few times. It seems to be really well stocked Iv seem some huge shoals of bream. And heard of big carp and big roach coming out of there. Further towards Hunstanton is said to hold some nice brown trout too.

It's on my hit list, I will let you know how I get on :)

Bigoll
Silver Bream

Post by Bigoll »

Thanks River Roach! I was beginning to think I was the only one who knew about the river! I tend to fish it between the North Beach car park and the end of the South Beach caravan park so would be interested to know how other sections of it fish too. To be honest, living in London means I only get there a handful of times a year but I've never blanked on that little river and really should get there more often. I believe the carp come from Pocahontas Lake in Heacham and wouldn't be surprised if the trout came from the same place. Like you, I've seen some mind-boggling shoals of fish in the river - at one point there were so many big dace you could almost have walked across them to the far bank!

River Roach

Post by River Roach »

Pocahontas lake of corse I hadn't even thought of that I know the river also runs through a trout lake in heacham which would make a lot of sense. All this talk, Iv had to take the day off tomorrow and go fish it. When's best to fish it, with the tides and all? You should defiantly give me a shout next time you come up to fish it. I live about 2 miles away

Bigoll
Silver Bream

Post by Bigoll »

Did you manage to get down to the river, RR? I've found it fishes well at all stages of the tide, though slightly better when it's halfway in or out - the fish respond better to a reasonable flow of water out through the drain and South Beach, presumably because it drags food along past them. When the tide's in it's easier to float fish though. How does the river look with all the rain we've been having? I can't imagine it gets very high and wild as its course is pretty straight and it's only a few miles long, empyting straight into the sea. Not like my local Roding which is currently filling the entire flood plain with an Amazon-like torrent of brown water.....

I'll have to get back up to Heacham at some point soon!

River Roach

Post by River Roach »

I nearly blanked :( 2 roach in the last half hour, nearly a pound though. Conditions where not good though. The water level was really high but nowhere near flooding. There was a serious blanket of leaves all the way through the river. 20mph winds and against the really light pull of the river and me just not being propeard for these conditions resulted in a long hard day. But I will be back there as soon as this mad weather calms down. First time I have not seen a single fish there

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Conditions are difficult all over Norfolk at the moment RR so you did OK! SOunds like I'm going to have to brave it and make a journey "out west" at some point to try the Heacham: sucker for Dace me!
Jim

River Roach

Post by River Roach »

You should have a look at the free stretch of the wensum through fakenham. Great dace fishing, it's fishing really well at the moment, I had a day of 1-2lb brown trout and roach just last week. On the float was great sport.

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Never fished that stretch - but have had many of the silver bars from the Tas and often fish the Wensum further down towards Norwich.
Jim

Bigoll
Silver Bream

Post by Bigoll »

Good call on the Wensum, RR; I've wanted to fish it for a while but am never sure where the free stretch is. As I'm only in Norfolk a few weekends a year it's not worth joining a club. I'd be much obliged if you could let me know whereabouts the free section in Fakenham is so I can give it a bash next time I'm up there!

Return to “Other Rivers”