Replacement Barder-type net bags

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Plumtart
Ruffe

Replacement Barder-type net bags

Post by Plumtart »

I know this has come up before, but never, I think, to anyone's complete satisfaction.

The two known sources are Snowbee and Sharpes. Both are excellent companies. But ........ the Snowbee nets are made of too fine a netting to suit big salmon/carp teardrop net frames, and although the Sharpes are made from thicker gauge material, their huge 1.5" hole spacing just doesn't look right to my eyes on bentwood net hoops. I'm trying to source the closer mesh type used on Sharpes excellent smaller net bags - 19mm (sorry to mix French and Imperial). It's all pretty basic Rachel knotless netting made in China (where else is anything made these days?)

Does anyone have one of Edward's wonderful big carp nets? If so, I'd be very interested to have the measurements. I get the impression that's they're made from the standard 19mm Rachel netting Redport used to make up for anyone to order. I think it's called sparrow netting in the trade. Maybe I'm wrong about the netting, and they're 1.5".

The other question is about the make-up of the bags. Small bags can be made by using the width and flexibility of the netting roll to form an unedged bag. With the limit to netting roll width, bigger (salmon and carp) nets need to have edges sewn or knotted together - and that knotted seam is positioned at the vee of the teardrop frame.

I know folks have opinions on rubberised nets, and indeed what and what-not we should use for nets, so I don't think it's necessary to rehearse those matters again. My question really is only about the net types and sizes mentioned above.

Any answers, anyone?
What Great Ones do, the Less will prattle on. Wm. Shakespeare. Twelfth Night.

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Replacement Barder-type net bags

Post by Snape »

I have a Barder carp net.
Which dimensions exactly do you need?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I have two Barder landing nets a small one 20.5 inches across and the larger Carp / Barbel one being 23.5 inches across. Both appear to use the same netting being 25mm approx. 1 inch mesh.

I hope this is what you were looking for in terms of information.

There are various photos of the nets on my TFF Journal as I usually leave the fish in the net on the mat when I take a photo.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

I use the Snowbee nets on my Steamed Ash Carp sized frame teardrop nets, and whilst they do look to be very fine in the weave, the weave does swell after use and becomes thicker.
I have not had any problems with the Snowbee netting, and am quite satisfied with it,but would be interested in any answers you get.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Plumtart
Ruffe

Post by Plumtart »

Thanks, Pershore. That IS helpful. 25mm would be perfect, if only I can track it down. And having looked at your photographs I can see that the carp net has the rear-facing seam I mentioned.

Every form of netting known to mankind can be obtained from China, but I don't need the 4,995 sq.m. that would be left over having completed my re-bagging operation.

Nets such as were used on your two Crabtree frames used to be available by return of post from Redport nets, but they're either gone or lost interest, these days.

W.

Plumtart
Ruffe

Post by Plumtart »

Snape, thanks. All the dimensions would be useful. But it's the mesh size that I most need. PH has said it's 1" (25mm in French). In which case I need to track down that size of mesh. If I can buy the base roll of mesh it'll be no great thing to convert it to the replacement net. The salmon gye nets are about right, but the mesh size is too big.

My teardrop net frame is 24" x 30". Big enough for a Tweed springer or a big carp.

W.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Plumtart wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:51 am Thanks, Pershore. That IS helpful. 25mm would be perfect, if only I can track it down. And having looked at your photographs I can see that the carp net has the rear-facing seam I mentioned.

Every form of netting known to mankind can be obtained from China, but I don't need the 4,995 sq.m. that would be left over having completed my re-bagging operation.

Nets such as were used on your two Crabtree frames used to be available by return of post from Redport nets, but they're either gone or lost interest, these days.

W.
For clarity my larger Barder Net was in fact his Chris Yates Carp / Barbel Net I believe - I have a certificate for it somewhere. The size of the frame is 31 inches x 23 inches wide.

As a matter of interest I also have a Maurice Ingham - Cox & Waterman Carp Net and the frame size of that is 31 inches x 25.5 inches and that also appears to use 25mm mesh.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

You should have a chat with OMR - he makes nets and has been on a mammoth quest for suitable meshes for varying sizes especially the large!! - it is not as straightforward as one would think - he will be able to elucidate. Personally I think this is one reason why you do not find nets to these proportions being readily made - the net size is an issue - I have 2 Ingham based design nets and the task of finding suitable meshes after the initial source dried up was a real problem.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Plumtart wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:23 am Snape, thanks. All the dimensions would be useful. But it's the mesh size that I most need. PH has said it's 1" (25mm in French). In which case I need to track down that size of mesh. If I can buy the base roll of mesh it'll be no great thing to convert it to the replacement net. The salmon gye nets are about right, but the mesh size is too big.

My teardrop net frame is 24" x 30". Big enough for a Tweed springer or a big carp.

W.
My Barder carp net max internal dimensions are 30" X 23" with a 1" mesh.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Plumtart
Ruffe

Post by Plumtart »

Pallenpool - I think you're right. Anyway, that's all very useful. I've been put onto a possible source for the Barder/Redport 1" mesh. If that proves positive I'll post the solution here. Thanks all. W.

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”