Rebuild of my Sharpe Avon - questions

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
NorfolkTinca
Dace

Rebuild of my Sharpe Avon - questions

Post by NorfolkTinca »

Dear all,

I have acquired this rod with some help from Tengisgol; it is my first and only split cane rod - apologies for the lack of photos at this point. I wanted a rod that's good enough that it doesn't require major work, but also something on which I can do some work of my own, and it fits that brief perfectly. This rod does not have its original rings, the cork appears to be brand new, and the blank itself is in very good order. I'm anticipating that this will be a rolling thread as work progresses and new questions arise. So my questions to begin with are:

What exactly is my rod called? I have the words Sharpe, Avon, Scotty and Aberdeen, and I'm not clear on exactly which order they should all appear! (I told you I was a cane novice.) :Scared:

Next, the red alignment dots. Mine are 180 degrees apart - none of my doing I promise! Should they be on the top (opposite the rings) or underneath?

What reel fittings should it have? Mine has some lovely aluminium ones, which may or may not be original, but they are such a snug fit to the cork that I can barely get a reel on, so I'm going to have to change them (I don't want to sand down the cork.)

The butt on my rod ends with a round cork end, but again, I suspect this is not how it should be. I believe it should have a screw-in butt cap (is that the right terminology?) and the Sharpes name on the metal, but finding one could be a challenge. Any help in this respect - including suggestions for a good substitute - appreciated.

Thank you all.
My biggest fish is not necessarily my best

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Re: Rebuild of my Sharpe Avon - questions

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

NT

I'm no expert at this either but if the red dots on the ferrules are 180 degrees out this would indicate that the rod has been refurbished at some stage with the top section being turned, probably because it was developing a bit of a sag.

Hope this helps with one point at least.

Regards GB

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Sorry NT

Ignore my answer as it isn't what you asked :Brickwall:

In short I don't know whether the red dots should go on top or underneath but I would guess that the ferrule on the butt section is most likely to be positioned correctly for the reason I gave in my first idiotic answer, that'll teach me to speed read I'm rubbish at it.

GB

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I'll have a go. I have an good example of this rod. See images here (not my rod!)…

https://vintagefishingtackle.co.uk/prod ... ane-rod-2/

1) Name – The Scottie Dog decal has another decal with 'Impregnated' underneath it. The Avon decal sits above the Scottie dog decal. Sharpe Ltd of Aberdeen is engraved on the butt cap as you wrote.

2) Red dots underneath as far as I'm aware.

3) Reel fittings – Sharpes used a very specific pattern shown in the images

4) Again as you write Sharpes had their own style metal butt cap with their name and the rod serial number engraved on it. From this the rod can be dated. I think you'll struggle to find one not least as so many Sharpes rods survive in very good useable condition so I'm not sure if you'll find a cheap one to plunder for fittings. You can find replacement metal butt caps of a different more generic style. I imagine Augutters sell them but ebay is also useful for searching for this type of thing. Personally I'd leave your rod as it is until you can hunt down a suitable Sharpes one.

Alternatively you could have a replica one made for you.

I've always considered these rods to be very well made.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The picture above is correct. I have an unmolested version - except for the renewed ferrules. The male was cracked therefore replaced.

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Post by NorfolkTinca »

Beresford wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:12 am 1) Name – The Scottie Dog decal has another decal with 'Impregnated' underneath it. The Avon decal sits above the Scottie dog decal. Sharpe Ltd of Aberdeen is engraved on the butt cap as you wrote.

2) Red dots underneath as far as I'm aware.

3) Reel fittings – Sharpes used a very specific pattern shown in the images

4) Again as you write Sharpes had their own style metal butt cap with their name and the rod serial number engraved on it. From this the rod can be dated. I think you'll struggle to find one not least as so many Sharpes rods survive in very good useable condition so I'm not sure if you'll find a cheap one to plunder for fittings. You can find replacement metal butt caps of a different more generic style. I imagine Augutters sell them but ebay is also useful for searching for this type of thing. Personally I'd leave your rod as it is until you can hunt down a suitable Sharpes one.
Thank you all, especially Beresford for the above. Now you remind me, I did find that link/picture a while back. Suffice to say mine didn't cost anywhere close to even the reduced price they are asking!
1. Tengisgol has very kindly (not to mention miraculously) provided me with a Scottie Dog decal. I'm good enough with a paintbrush (famous last words) that I will probably have a go at replicating the "Impregnated" label.
2. I would prefer the red dots underneath. I see no evidence of the tip having sagged - in fact I just turned it upside down, and if anything, it be be even straighter if/when I put the new rings back on the correct side of the blank.
3. I don't have the genuine reel fittings, but I had to look two or three times to be certain I didn't. A quick look at my Shakespeare Boron Mach 2 (it's not carbon :Scared: ) confirms what I thought - these are what are on my Sharpe's rod. Chances are they used something similar in a larger diameter on other models.
4. I'll see if I can find a genuine butt cap, but while there's no hurry as such, I will need to remove the existing cork end if I am to change the reel fittings. Were it not for that, I'd leave it alone. In the short term, purely in the interests of practicality (and obviously not as a permanent fixture) I can use of of those Fuji snap-on reel seats - these reel seats can be used in conjunction with sliding rings, and it's a better option short-term than dropping my Mitchell in the drink.

Thanks again.

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Maybe the tip hasn't been turned at all, but as Only suggested the ferrule may have broken and it was replaced upside-down in error.

Use a thought

GB

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Post by NorfolkTinca »

Thanks GB for the suggestion above.

A question for Olly...
Olly wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:26 pm The picture above is correct. I have an unmolested version - except for the renewed ferrules. The male was cracked therefore replaced.
Could I possibly ask you (no urgency) to measure the spacing of the rings for me? My eyes did not deceive me - the spacing on mine, as it stands, does get further apart as they get nearer the tip! I have 9 rings including butt and tip, and given what else has come to light, I can't assume that's right either...

Thanks in advance.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Are there any pale marks/bands around the cane? That's an indication that an original ring position has been moved. I have seen one Sharpes Avon where this has been done to the detriment of the rod.

When I had my Sharpes Carp restored the whippings that came off were nylon, not silk. I'm not sure what was done originally but the best colour match that could be made turned out to be nylon so I stuck with that.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Post by NorfolkTinca »

There's nothing that I can see with any certainty to suggest a ring having been moved, but I'm still not certain whether or not mine has been refinished. There are light and dark streaks in the finish that suggest a stained varnish, but I'm not sufficiently familiar with cane to know whether it's just the variation in the natural material. That's probably one for another day, when the rings are off and I can take photos. In any case, it's a decent finish, probably better than I could do if I tried to improve upon it. Mine is sufficiently non-original that I don't have to worry too much about exact colour matching, but I'm intending to use nylon in Garnet or similar. I have a good colour match in my existing stock of threads, but it's a little heavier than I would like for this one.

However, my options of reel fitting rings just got somewhat easier, as I've bought a job lot of them.

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”