Crucian Carp or Brown Goldfish?

This forum is for discussing crucian.
Fredline
Tench

Crucian Carp or Brown Goldfish?

Post by Fredline »

I fished a lake a couple of years ago and caught some very nice "crucians" up to 2 1/2 lb. Great fun but there was something not quite right about them, the infamous brown goldfish. This lake was known for a large head of these fish plus some true crucians and were often catch in quite sizeable batches, not by me though.
So you can catch brown goldfish, crucian carp but never goldfish.
How did they hybridise?
There has been enough debate on this site about these fish so where are the goldfish? If I had bought a batch of crucians and found these amongst them I would bag them up and send them back.
Where do BG's come from?
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Crucian Carp or Brown Goldfish?

Post by Olly »

View British Aliens Nature Series - Jack Perks - Giant Goldfish.

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

Perhaps a funny question but...
I'm clearing out my garden pond in view of a new one being built, so the existing goldfish are being given a temporary home in an aquarium. Inevitably there are some brown goldfish amongst them but I don't really want to put them in the new pond. Would anyone want them for stocking a non-ornamental pond? I don't really want to kill them and I know it's very irresponsible to put them in another lake, so...?
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

I've seen brown goldfish in some long established ornamental lakes. As far as I'm aware a goldfish stock will eventually revert to brown specimens over time.

What's this one below though - Brown Goldfish or Gibel Carp.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Week before last, I was fishing in a two small linked pits on The Wirral run by Port Sunlight Angling Club and called Roadside (because they are!).

30 or so years ago it contained pure Crucian, Tench, Roach and Rudd. It now contains exclusively Brown Goldfish, Tench, Roach and Rudd. In those 30 years it has never been stocked by the club. It’s a very healthy water where they all breed very well.

Some time in the late 1980s or early 1990s, Goldfish and Shubunkins started appearing in the pits. Within a decade or so the Crucian, Goldfish and Shubunkins disappeared and Brown Goldfish took over. One I caught on that trip ……

The last remnant of the Shubunkins is Brown Goldfish with huge fan tails that fight like nothing else! My brother caught one and I’ve asked him to email me a photo which I’ll post later hopefully. Club members call them Mermaids!

Goldfish + Crucian x time = Brown Goldfish.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

As promised, one Wirral Mermaid ………

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

Wow! That's some tail!
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

MWithell wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:33 pm Wow! That's some tail!
Loz, my brother, says he’s had them with larger tails but it’s the largest I’ve seen!

Phil

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Phil Arnott wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:34 pm I've seen brown goldfish in some long established ornamental lakes. As far as I'm aware a goldfish stock will eventually revert to brown specimens over time.

What's this one below though - Brown Goldfish or Gibel Carp.

Hi Phil, if this is a regular haunt try and get some really clear mat photos with fins extended. If we can then count scales on the lateral line and rays on the fins we could have a stab. It appears to have an interesting convex dorsal in that photo.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

We used to catch fish we simply called ‘hybrids’ around some of the Essex ponds back in the eighties. Big fan tails but quite uniform in a grey colour. They would have been some kind of goldfish/shubunkin.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “Crucian (Carassius carassius)”