P. Weekes or Cunningham Tackle, Paddington?

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Santiago
Wild Carp

P. Weekes or Cunningham Tackle, Paddington?

Post by Santiago »

Has anyone heard of P Weekes or Cunningham Tackle Shop (High Class Tackle) that was 19?Harrow Road, Paddington, W9, London. I 've just received a mystery Avon style rod (possible MKIV kit rod) with a decal with that name and address on. It would be nice to know the actual name of the shop and an approximate date when they were trading. Thanks.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: P. Weekes or Cunningham Tackle, Paddington?

Post by Lea Dweller »

All I know is that 19 Harrow Road Paddington W9 is very adjacent to 'The Westway' and the original shops in that area are long gone. There were a number of West London Tackle Dealers, Frames, Benwoods, Young's of Harrow (not Harrow Road) spring to mind, but I am sure that there were others. Some shops had a dual role, with fishing tackle being a part of their trade. Perhaps someone else is better informed, but I have certainly not heard of either P.Weekes or Cunningham and I was frequently around that part of London in the sixties and seventies! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Cheers Ted.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I was a copper in West London and nearly all the Harrow Road shops at the Paddington end were indeed destroyed to make way for the Westway elevated road...Only about 5 survived, but only one was still open in 1976, an aquarium and tropical fish shop. Now they are all gone.

The post code changes as you go west at about number 460 from W9 to W10. The lowest number now on the 'odd' side is 209...a measure of just how much was raised to the ground!

I wonder if the Francis Frith site has any images?

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”