What fish is this

This forum belongs to the River Roding.
Andyac
Ruffe

Re: What fish is this

Post by Andyac »

Hi all
I did send this photo to the EA and maybe because of the pandemic I didn't get a reply. I will be raking in the deep water again this season god willing and I,ll try to get better and more photos of this unusual fish.

Andyac
Ruffe

Post by Andyac »

Hi all
I have not been to the Roding since June 16th where I managed 5ozs. I intend to fish tomorrow god willing and thought I,ll check out the swim I intend to fish and I have never used my weed rake on the bank before , the nettles were shoulder height. I eventually got to the river side and i raked out our strange fish along with Bullheads and no crayfish. What fish is this
Screenshot_20210831-174902_Resizer Free.jpg
Screenshot_20210831-174902_Resizer Free.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

Stone Loach apparently, although I don’t think I have ever caught one.
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Looks like a Stone Loach to me but all the photos you have posted are tiny and it’s impossible to see if it has barbules. Next time you catch one, take a close look at the head.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

The barbels aren't always easy to see on stone loach which is what I think it is.

Getting near to brackish waters it's possible to find common goby.

Andyac
Ruffe

Post by Andyac »

Hi Buddy
No barbules. My old club has a water where the current British rod caught Stoneloach was caught and you would catch them frequently with small baits and they have 6 barbules on the lower jaw

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

I should have said loach and not stone loach as it could be a spined loach. There's little else it could be without being an alien species.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

The barbels on juvenile barbel fold back into a little recess beside the mouth. They lose this ability when they grow and the barbels develop. As the barbels on loach are so tiny, I suggest that this is what's going on here and a look at a few on Google images seems to confirm it. The pixel quality of the image is too low to be 100% so it may be a spined loach, a fish I have never actually seen.

Andyac
Ruffe

Post by Andyac »

Hi all
This fish was very small and could be a stone loach not fully formed Thanks for all the replys . The Bullheads I also pull out have a large head even the small fish slightly bigger then my thumbnail. The Stoneloach in my old club lake had a gravel stream next to the lake. The River Roding is not a clean river with a muddy bottom, however if it is a stoneloach the water quality must be improving .

Chris R
Stickleback

Post by Chris R »

Sorry to be late in joining this discussion. I agree with the opinion that the mystery fish is a stone loach. I’m confident it’s not a spined loach, wrong shape / wrong colour. The fish in the first photo is difficult to id and appears very different to the fish in late photos.

Return to “River Roding”