the purists won't like it

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Gilbert
Rudd

Re: the purists won't like it

Post by Gilbert »

Fredline wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:26 am
Gilbert wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:58 pm ............But i have recently aquired a 500 in good basic condition that i will rebuild . no real faults unless you call a bit of black stain a fault . it is straight and true with a bit of steel in the spine . the only small problem was that the handle had "blown" . the ally butt has got wet - probably quite often , and the water caused the ally to oxidise and expand producing swelling in the cork. so much so the reel bands were stuck fast . i rubbed it down and all is well and i will fill the holes in the cork with pit paste to stop a recurrence. is this a common thing ?
anyway , 500s are not a rare thing , so i don't feel bad about making some changes. the lack of rings is to me a bit of a concern and i would like more (don't we all)? .....and i like the Stoney ledgerstrike . -- but not the 28" handle -- so the plan is a Ledgerstrike 8 ring pattern , probably to my own settings to bring the tip more in to play , and the LS intermediate wrap pattern , more fussy , but it will look nice so why not ? i do a lot of swingtipping and the 24" handle is what you need for tipping - in fact if i had a ledgerstrike i would be likely to shorten the handle!
both the LS and the 500 are 1lb test although this rod feels as if it will pull more , but the end result will i think be the rod Chapmans should have made , but never did.
it will have green ring wraps , a small gap , then black tippet , another small gap followed by a burgundy tippet and then the burgundy for the intermediates - a bit like some Hardy rods . i will use CP so the colours will stay true .
it sounds good to me - any thoughts ??
pics to follow when the job is done
I love these rods and this is what I did with the last couple I had. One had just your problems.
https://traditionalfisherman.com/viewto ... 00#p370930
i saw that post - very nice Fredline

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

ImageImageImage' tis done - nearly . i took a couple of pics before the final coat of varnish.
i ended up using red for the wraps and inters for no better reason than i have 400 yds to use up. green tippets . the butt came up like new after a bit of cork removal and the application of pit paste and cork seal.
7 rings proved sufficient -Seymo 616 , so no standoffs but i prefer low riders on a bottom rod. i took off the copper wrapping on the butt ring and ferrule. something i may rue in the future as i think this is a very early rod , but i wanted the butt ring further up the blank. anyway , what's done is done . the important thing is that it is a good useable rod . i will probably try to find another 500 with no faults to do a proper restoration .

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Nice job Sir? - just caught up with this thread :Thumb:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

thank 'ee kindly

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

That looks so good I thought it was one of mine.
Only joking, it looks great. Well done.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

thanks . cane makes a nice change from beachcasters

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Great job. Real shame though, that you forgot to put the reel rings back on the butt ! :Hahaha:
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Santiago wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:40 pm Great job. Real shame though, that you forgot to put the reel rings back on the butt ! :Hahaha:
they're down the other end , silly boy lol

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Sorry, I always fish with mine at the top of the butt. :whistle:
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »