Richard Walker, Friend or Foe?

This forum belongs to Dick Walker.
Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Re: Richard Walker, Friend or Foe?

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I wasn't aware that the carp in question had been caught previously. Bob Richards caught the previous record at 31lb 4oz in 1951 and took it home on the bus. RW was thought to have caught one bigger than that but it was only just over and so he put it back believing that there were much bigger fish in the lake. But I haven't heard of anything coming from Redmire over 40lb until the following year when RW caught the famous record at 44lb.

I think that any method or idea that has been invented would ultimately have come to light by other means. The North Americans had been camping and fishing for years before 1952, mainly for salmonids. But it was the publicity that came with the carp record being associated with long campaigns and night fishing that kick started the current tactics. It would have come eventually, but after the account was published it started overnight - literally. And the tackle manufacturers took it from there.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:27 pm I wasn't aware that the carp in question had been caught previously. Bob Richards caught the previous record at 31lb 4oz in 1951 and took it home on the bus. RW was thought to have caught one bigger than that but it was only just over and so he put it back believing that there were much bigger fish in the lake. But I haven't heard of anything coming from Redmire over 40lb until the following year when RW caught the famous record at 44lb.
Yes sorry about that Clive. I have just checked and all agree it was previously held by Bob Richards and his 31. I really don't know where I got that story from but it was something I read fairly recently. Probably on Wiki then edited.

Wal.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Look upon it as fate. Walker, the scientific technician, lands a record fish that he would not have landed alone. HIs record is beaten by a spiritual, intuitive angler in circumstances that show he would never have landed it on his own. It's a complete circle based around one venue. You couldn't;t make it up.

The difference with Walker was that in post war Britain, he was one of the trend setters. Having caught the fish he was the perfect 'face of modern angling' and the circus began. People had more freedom, money and an opportunity to fish for pleasure rather than food. He was a round peg that found his round hole and the media of the time promoted the heck out of him. He wore his crown well and became The Guru. Maybe his ego overtook him and he felt he was unquestionable, or maybe that was just his nature. No matter, it all went to creating the man, the myth and many, many stories.

It's nothing to do with hero worship, he was inspirational as was Venables but in a very different way. One caught arguably the single most significant fish in our sport's history, the other brought inspiration and education to anybody that looked at his cartoon strips. These feats will never be repeated in our time so, it doesn't matter if they were kind, grumpy or bit the head's off cats, their place in history is set and that will live on. After all, we are still talking about Walker today are we not?

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:34 pm
Mole-Patrol wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:27 pm I wasn't aware that the carp in question had been caught previously. Bob Richards caught the previous record at 31lb 4oz in 1951 and took it home on the bus. RW was thought to have caught one bigger than that but it was only just over and so he put it back believing that there were much bigger fish in the lake. But I haven't heard of anything coming from Redmire over 40lb until the following year when RW caught the famous record at 44lb.
Yes sorry about that Clive. I have just checked and all agree it was previously held by Bob Richards and his 31. I really don't know where I got that story from but it was something I read fairly recently. Probably on Wiki then edited.

Wal.
😁 l know it is so easy to dive to Wiki but my partner ,who after a lifetime of library work ,including for some pretty prestigious organisations tells me that Wiki is a designated unreliable source in the World of Information . ( Surely not!😁)
Even in her present job ,which is pretty low- flying , there is a ban on using Wiki in the workplace or for advising clients Not that she would.
To illustrate her point she showed me the Wikipedia entry for her ex husband . Well never have l felt so inadequate ; the chap was a mixture of Einstein and Indiana Jones!
Apparently he had authored it himself!😁😁

Nothing to do with RW , sorry 🙄
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Wiki aside, one of the good things that RW was involved in was an exchange of information between good anglers of all types that enhanced the knowledge of many other anglers. The 'Drop me a Line' letters and RW's correspondence via the Angling Times letters page is still a useful source of information, both current and historic. He acted like a telephone exchange and we are all the better for it.

I often think how these subjects were played out over long periods with one person writing an opinion that was published one or two week's later and then somebody else penning a response that reached the readers three or four weeks after the original point had been made. Today if you posted a "What rod / reel / line do you recommend?" question on a forum it would reach two pages in less than an hour. Perversely if you posted a question on tactics or methods it might take as long as the old pen, ink and postage stamp days to get a reply.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Having read all of the responses to Dave Burr's original question Dick Walker, Friend or Foe?, I would like to make a final comment. Dick Walker said "Here's my reply to those who are unable to accept my points of view" in 1983! In response to being accused of being out of touch with the average angler and advocating archaic methods of fishing. In his statement headed 'Long Time' he explains in very simple terms why this was untrue. Ironically he could easily make the same statements today, to defend himself against even more negative comments and views. As for him being a friend or foe, he seems to be regarded by the majority of TFF members as a friend, which seems a fair conclusion. As for his legacy to the world of angling, I cannot think of any individual that has contributed more! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Lea Dweller wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:55 am Having read all of the responses to Dave Burr's original question Dick Walker, Friend or Foe?, I would like to make a final comment. Dick Walker said "Here's my reply to those who are unable to accept my points of view" in 1983! In response to being accused of being out of touch with the average angler and advocating archaic methods of fishing. In his statement headed 'Long Time' he explains in very simple terms why this was untrue. Ironically he could easily make the same statements today, to defend himself against even more negative comments and views. As for him being a friend or foe, he seems to be regarded by the majority of TFF members as a friend, which seems a fair conclusion. As for his legacy to the world of angling, I cannot think of any individual that has contributed more! :Hat:
What Ted said :Hat:

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Lea Dweller wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:55 am As for him being a friend or foe, he seems to be regarded by the majority of TFF members as a friend, which seems a fair conclusion. As for his legacy to the world of angling, I cannot think of any individual that has contributed more! :Hat:
Well said Ted. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Lea Dweller wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:55 am Having read all of the responses to Dave Burr's original question Dick Walker, Friend or Foe?, I would like to make a final comment. Dick Walker said "Here's my reply to those who are unable to accept my points of view" in 1983! In response to being accused of being out of touch with the average angler and advocating archaic methods of fishing. In his statement headed 'Long Time' he explains in very simple terms why this was untrue. Ironically he could easily make the same statements today, to defend himself against even more negative comments and views. As for him being a friend or foe, he seems to be regarded by the majority of TFF members as a friend, which seems a fair conclusion. As for his legacy to the world of angling, I cannot think of any individual that has contributed more! :Hat:
I don’t think I could add anything of worth to what you have said Ted...... :Hat:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Is it true that his profession was making lawn mowers? That begs the question as to whether he has another legacy that most of us might not be aware of!? Perhaps we're using another one of his designs without realising it!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Dick Walker”