Trudex

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Trudex

Post by Nobby »

I only know of one feller selling reels with new spindles fitted....a chap in Sheffield?

His work is sound, so I wonder if you have over adjusted the screw that controls end float?

It should be taken in until it just touches the end of the spindle and then backed-off an eighth of a turn.

If it isn't backed off like this the spool release arm with snag in its groove on the spindle. It's pretty common to find this and it causes some mild damage to the arm, that needs dressing off to get the reel perfect once more.

If you still have a problem, you might contact the seller for advice and perhaps a once-over. If he's not willing you can post it to me and I'll have a look for you.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

As Nobby said try the end float screw as well. Wind it out a quarter turn at a time and se how if goes. One of mine had a new spindle when I got it and degreasing, two drops of singer sewing machine oil and half a turn anticlockwise of the end float screw has it spinning nearly a minute and getting better as time goes by :thumb:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah...Roger, .... then it IS the same feller, I thought it might be, and I felt sure he'd see you right, as they say. He's a ruddy good engineer.

I have no hesitation in recommending him....he trades as Sheffman, I think?

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Just got my new line guard, courtesy of Garry Mill. In time for some grayling trotting. Very nice, finished in polished brass.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

Can anyone advise me on how to tighten up the handle on my trudex.

After some very helpfull advice from nobby i have fettled my trudex and it spins so much better not 100% but useable, i think, soon to find out but the handle seems loose now i have mounted it onto a rod.

it looks like some kind of rivet that holds the handle onto the backplate can it be dealt with easily or will i have to suffer it.

regards

bjp

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

This isn't something I've had to deal with before, so can be of little use. They are indeed rivets, but bash them too tight and the handle won't turn anymore.

Perhaps Chavender has some thoughts? I recall he's taken a few off Soeedias that were rivetted.

I'd guess a couple of bits of shim steel under the handle bottom cups would stop you over-tightening the rivets.........

If no one can help a 'phone call to Garry Mills of the Mill Tackle Company might elicit some information. Don't e-mail him...Garry doesn't 'do' e-mails very well :chuckle:

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Bjp wrote:Can anyone advise me on how to tighten up the handle on my trudex.

After some very helpfull advice from nobby i have fettled my trudex and it spins so much better not 100% but useable, i think, soon to find out but the handle seems loose now i have mounted it onto a rod.

it looks like some kind of rivet that holds the handle onto the backplate can it be dealt with easily or will i have to suffer it.

regards

bjp

They sometimes work loose when roughly used as this may have been by a previous owner. The fact that it needed a new spindle at all indicates that it has not always had a happy life. It needs to be closed to a set pressure to put it right.
I have a small toggle press for such work.

...If you get really stuck, send me a PM.

wm+

Edit:-Sorry, just re-read this thread and see that it's not your reel that's had a new spindle!!
However, can do any repairs for you, if you need..

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

What a kind offer, WM.

Bite his hand off, Bjp!

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

How's poor old wm+ going to fix his Trudex if he's only got one hand.....

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Good point Jim! Though a bit literal :)

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”