Martin Gay's 50lb English Common Carp: Closure.

This forum is for discussing carp.
Marmelade
Rudd

Re: Martin Gay's 50lb English Common Carp: Closure.

Post by Marmelade »

GregF wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:33 am
RBTraditional wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:23 am I believe Martin caught those fish but wanted to protect them from being overfished....
I believe that too.
Ian.R.McDonald wrote: A sad event which would have been even worse now with " social media"
Yes, the flak he received must've been bad enough for him as it was. Facebook would have been intolerable.
I`m still amused by this. But I tell you it happens. I have a park..Queens Park 400m down the road. 27 years ago now I went out on one of their wooden boats (this is before health and safety stopped it). This year the lake was unusually clear. I knew the lake was full of fish. I`d seen some immense roach and lots of carp. But the boat went over two fish as I was peering over. Granted it was a mirror, but it was big. No fishing lake.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

For me there was just no reason to lie, zero motif. Why would he have done that to himself?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I am so pleased to be part of this forum and to be able to step away from the way carp fishing is now. Carp with names and big money being made. I fished at Darenth in the 80s. I was so pleased to have landed a nice fish. Someone came into my swim as I landed it. He told me its weight and the two others who had caught it that year. I didn't go back

I am very happy to be "hiding away" in our lovely forum

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Does it matter? I could not give a damn .If people do not not not believe me when I say what I have caught so what! Sometimes I take a photograph sometimes I do not. My aim is to get the fish back in the water as quickly as possible. Its what's in my memory that matters.
Mark Davies

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Penninelad wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:30 am Does it matter? I could not give a damn .If people do not not not believe me when I say what I have caught so what! Sometimes I take a photograph sometimes I do not. My aim is to get the fish back in the water as quickly as possible. Its what's in my memory that matters.
That's how it should be Mark, many could benefit the fishes welfare by following such advice.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Marmelade
Rudd

Post by Marmelade »

Ian.R.McDonald wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:19 am I am so pleased to be part of this forum and to be able to step away from the way carp fishing is now. Carp with names and big money being made. I fished at Darenth in the 80s. I was so pleased to have landed a nice fish. Someone came into my swim as I landed it. He told me its weight and the two others who had caught it that year. I didn't go back

I am very happy to be "hiding away" in our lovely forum
Lol...yes, that`s really not ok. I wouldn`t want to hear that at all.

Marmelade
Rudd

Post by Marmelade »

Penninelad wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:30 am Does it matter? I could not give a damn .If people do not not not believe me when I say what I have caught so what! Sometimes I take a photograph sometimes I do not. My aim is to get the fish back in the water as quickly as possible. Its what's in my memory that matters.
It`s interesting to know what people have caught. Yet I would completely agree that fish should be out of the water for a very short time. I`m against this talk to the camera while holding a fish thing that`s being going on.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I will own up to weighing a very nice Perch recently but normally I don't weigh anything.

Why on earth is a 19lb 15 oz Carp a failure and 1 oz heavier success ? Because it isnt?

And anyway my scales are nearly 50 years old and I suspect very complimentary

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:36 am
That's how it should be Mark, many could benefit the fishes welfare by following such advice.

Thanks
BB
I couldn't agree more gents :Thumb: I'm only concerned with the fish. I do get the very occasional 'trophy shot' taken the insistence of other anglers I'm in close proximity to, for instance when boat fishing, personally I don't bother. I certainly don't seek self publicity, quite the opposite.

Marmelade
Rudd

Post by Marmelade »

Ian.R.McDonald wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:22 am I will own up to weighing a very nice Perch recently but normally I don't weigh anything.

Why on earth is a 19lb 15 oz Carp a failure and 1 oz heavier success ? Because it isnt?

And anyway my scales are nearly 50 years old and I suspect very complimentary
^^ maybe one got to each just a little more food?

Never heard anyone dish a fish really..

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”