BAILEY'S ANGLERS CHEESE

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
John Harding
Rudd

BAILEY'S ANGLERS CHEESE

Post by John Harding »

Good evening all,

A couple of days ago I was looking through one of my magazines from1963 and I came across an advert' for Bailey's Anglers Cheese, which it says was "made expressly for angling by the largest firm of cheese makers in England" and it came in vacuum sealed tins.

I was wondering if any members of a certain age ever used this cheese and of course if so how did you get on with it.

The advertisement :-

Regards,
John

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: BAILEY'S ANGLERS CHEESE

Post by Olly »

I used cheese for roach on the Thames but I cannot remember ever seeing that - tins of cheese! Perhaps not down south?

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Olly wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:08 pm I used cheese for roach on the Thames but I cannot remember ever seeing that - tins of cheese! Perhaps not down south?
A few years ago I visited the Baxter’s museum in Fochabers. I was gobsmacked by the sheer range of things they had put in a can over the decades - a whole pheasant or chicken, on the bone, stuck out! I was so intrigued that I did quite a bit of reading about canning foodstuffs, which dates back to the French army during the Napoleonic Wars. Amongst canned foods I read about that genuinely surprised me were mashed potato and, yes, cheese!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

This has got me thinking. There must be hundreds of types of processed cheese available that would be perfect for hookbaits. I’m thinking maybe garlic mini babybel or that smoked flavour stuff that used to come wrapped like little plastic sausages. Has anybody had success with similar baits?
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

GregF wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:58 pm This has got me thinking. There must be hundreds of types of processed cheese available that would be perfect for hookbaits. I’m thinking maybe garlic mini babybel or that smoked flavour stuff that used to come wrapped like little plastic sausages. Has anybody had success with similar baits?
I don't think there's any doubt they will all catch Greg but I am partial to smoked cheese and would doubtless severely diminish my bait before getting a cast in. :drool:

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Dave Burr wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:01 pm
GregF wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:58 pm This has got me thinking. There must be hundreds of types of processed cheese available that would be perfect for hookbaits. I’m thinking maybe garlic mini babybel or that smoked flavour stuff that used to come wrapped like little plastic sausages. Has anybody had success with similar baits?
I don't think there's any doubt they will all catch Greg but I am partial to smoked cheese and would doubtless severely diminish my bait before getting a cast in. :drool:
Good point. Can't see these lasting long...

"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

GregF wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:10 am

I can... looks like I'll be having some of those for my chubbing... fortunately I hate Marmite, but I'll use it in my fishing...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Aitch wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:19 am
GregF wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:10 am

I can... looks like I'll be having some of those for my chubbing... fortunately I hate Marmite, but I'll use it in my fishing...
I won't be using it as I can't even stand the smell of the stuff. But I reckon they'll be great for chub.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”