Rotary tool recommendation

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
MGs
Pike

Rotary tool recommendation

Post by MGs »

Hopefully this is a reasonable place for this.

I'm looking for a small rotary tool. I already have a standard size Dremel. I'm looking for something along the lines of the Dremel Stylo. However, this will be for occasional use, so I can't justify the expense of the Stylo. Has anyone tried any of the cheaper alternatives?

I tried a cheap Chinese one from the Bay. The size was fine, about 6 inches long, 2.3mm drive with collets/chuck taking up to the size I need (3mm). However, 16000rpm and 5w wasn't powerful enough. Touching the tool on a piece of wood made it stop :-O

It needs to be powerful enough to work some hardwood
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Rotary tool recommendation

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Have you tried the flexible drive. I use one for very close up jobs.

Wal.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:12 pm Have you tried the flexible drive. I use one for very close up jobs.

Wal.
Thanks, I'd not considered that. It makes a lot of sense. It will certainly have the power, just adds some fine control.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:12 pm Have you tried the flexible drive. I use one for very close up jobs.

Wal.
You were correct. A flexible drive arrived today. Just what I needed, far more control than the rotary tool but with all of the power. My new favourite gadget.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

I use mine all the time with the flexi drive attached, purely for control.
I find that it helps to work a bit of grease down inside the flexi shaft every now and again as they run with less vibration. Keeping the bend radius of the flexi drive to a minimum helps with longevity and smooth running as well.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

MGs wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:01 pm

Wal.
You were correct. A flexible drive arrived today. Just what I needed, far more control than the rotary tool but with all of the power. My new favourite gadget.
Yes, it's amazing how more user friendly it feels compared to a basic machine.
Wal.

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”