A scary moment.

Enter this forum only if you dare.
Rotrax
Rudd

A scary moment.

Post by Rotrax »

As a young man with a motorbike - a 150cc Villiers engined James - I was returning from an afternoon and early evenings Tenching at Frensham Little Pond to the campsite where the tent was pitched. The road was poorly illuminated by the 20W bulb in the direct lighting headlamp. The lights only worked if the engine was running.
As I breasted a rise I saw the road dropped downhill and cut through a dark pine plantation, mature trees ready for harvest. I allowed the bike to reach full speed, about an indicated 58 MPH, and approached the almost dark tunnel looming over the road, keen to be out of the dark as soon as I could.
I reached the all encompassing gloom, leaving the scant starlight behind me.
Pop - spludge - bang - whirrrrrrrrrr! The engine stopped!
I lifted the clutch and coasted, almost wetting myself in the spooky gloom. The bike coasted on, getting slower and slower as the road levelled out.
As soon as I could safely get off and run alongside so as too clear the scary darkness, I did, being careful not to damage the rod fastened like a rifle across my back.
About 100 yards from the light at the end of the tunnel - I know, I know - I was becoming very out of breath.
Reading 'The Lord Of The Rings' in you favourite armchair, under electric lighting is no problem. Having read it recently and now inside a dark and spooky forrest it all seemed a bit frightening!
Eventually, breathless, I came out into the end of the plantation, not light, but not so dark. I drew great lungfulls of air in, happy to be out of the gloom.
I suddenly felt the hairs on the back of my neck prickle under my helmet. I had this substantial feeling I was not alone! Looking around, eyes desperately trying to see in the half light I saw a blurred five bar gate with a small dog lying in front of it.
Suddenly, making me squeak, a voice asked " Wossamarrer mate? " There was a man by the gate with the dog, an old country boy by the sound of it.
" Christ " I replied " You really scared me! My bikes stopped working. "
" Course it 'as mate-yer plug leads 'anging orf! "
And it was.........................

Troydog
Tench

Re: A scary moment.

Post by Troydog »

Great story Rotrax - many thanks for sharing!!
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

Brill :)
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Marmelade
Rudd

Post by Marmelade »

Rotrax wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:33 pm As a young man with a motorbike - a 150cc Villiers engined James - I was returning from an afternoon and early evenings Tenching at Frensham Little Pond to the campsite where the tent was pitched. The road was poorly illuminated by the 20W bulb in the direct lighting headlamp. The lights only worked if the engine was running.
As I breasted a rise I saw the road dropped downhill and cut through a dark pine plantation, mature trees ready for harvest. I allowed the bike to reach full speed, about an indicated 58 MPH, and approached the almost dark tunnel looming over the road, keen to be out of the dark as soon as I could.
I reached the all encompassing gloom, leaving the scant starlight behind me.
Pop - spludge - bang - whirrrrrrrrrr! The engine stopped!
I lifted the clutch and coasted, almost wetting myself in the spooky gloom. The bike coasted on, getting slower and slower as the road levelled out.
As soon as I could safely get off and run alongside so as too clear the scary darkness, I did, being careful not to damage the rod fastened like a rifle across my back.
About 100 yards from the light at the end of the tunnel - I know, I know - I was becoming very out of breath.
Reading 'The Lord Of The Rings' in you favourite armchair, under electric lighting is no problem. Having read it recently and now inside a dark and spooky forrest it all seemed a bit frightening!
Eventually, breathless, I came out into the end of the plantation, not light, but not so dark. I drew great lungfulls of air in, happy to be out of the gloom.
I suddenly felt the hairs on the back of my neck prickle under my helmet. I had this substantial feeling I was not alone! Looking around, eyes desperately trying to see in the half light I saw a blurred five bar gate with a small dog lying in front of it.
Suddenly, making me squeak, a voice asked " Wossamarrer mate? " There was a man by the gate with the dog, an old country boy by the sound of it.
" Christ " I replied " You really scared me! My bikes stopped working. "
" Course it 'as mate-yer plug leads 'anging orf! "
And it was.........................
That was my nightly experience in Japan. They don`t have street lights there really. There were absolutely none when I moved to Karuizawa up in the mountains. We lived in a small bungalow at the end of a very dark road. There were a few houses on the left and right and then the road became a muddy dirt track. We lived right at the end in the trees. We had forest just behind and to the left. To the right, beyond more trees was a golf course. In front the track would disappear into the forested darkness. Ever so spooky. I would go out for a walk in the dark or ride my bike every night. The sky was incredibly clear. One night in the trees I saw a figure moving towards me, an energy form of some kind. I moved away.

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

I love a good spooky story, well done Rotrax. :Hat:
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

Greenwells Glory
Minnow

Post by Greenwells Glory »

A friend of mine and his son, while about to sleep in a car after fishing, saw a carriage and figure come towards them in the dark then disappear. They spoke about it for over 30 years, then on the same spot of road someone else reported the exact occurrence happening!

Rotrax
Rudd

Post by Rotrax »

A neighbours wife's Father was a Circuit Judge and had been an official at the Nuremberg war crime trials. He bought back a very early split rear window VW Beetle with him, complete with a petrol burning heater and a 6V electrical system. You would imagine him as being a well adjusted and hard to impress kind of guy.
Traveling home through rural North Oxfordshire, near Charlton on Otmoor, he and his wife were in trouble. A blizzard had covered the road in snow, a real whiteout. The few signposts could not be read without getting out and wiping the snow off. While doing this at a three way junction they were hailed by a guy on a horse. He waved them to follow him, which they did.

After a few hundred yards he pointed them down a road, which they took and they shortly came to a country pub which put them up for the night.

As they stopped outside the pub his wife said " I did not want to worry you while you were controling the car on the slippery road, but that horse did not leave hoofprints. The chap riding it was dressed very strangely too "

Speaking to the Publican they were directed to a local. The old boy told them they had encountered the 'Black Huntsman' who was only ever seen in snow and only at very long intervals. Never did any harm, was a benign spirit who helped others.

True story? The well known Judge told it to me and I believed him.

You make your minds up!

Return to “Haunted Swims and Fishing Stories”