Looking for a great, smelly, sausage meat recipe for chub!

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Looking for a great, smelly, sausage meat recipe for chub!

Post by Tengisgol »

Has anyone got any secret (or not so secret!) mixes and methods they’d care to share?

Thanks in anticipation!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Looking for a great, smelly, sausage meat recipe for chub!

Post by Pallenpool »

Tengisgol wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:36 pm Has anyone got any secret (or not so secret!) mixes and methods they’d care to share?

Thanks in anticipation!
I will PM .......
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Marmelade
Rudd

Post by Marmelade »

Lidl`s have some fantastic big Polish sausages. Pre-cooked, can be eaten cold or warmed. If there`s anything better than that for you or your chub I`d like to know about it too : ) 2.99 for 6 I believe.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Marmelade wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:47 pm Lidl`s have some fantastic big Polish sausages. Pre-cooked, can be eaten cold or warmed. If there`s anything better than that for you or your chub I`d like to know about it too : ) 2.99 for 6 I believe.
Lovely on the bbq, smothered in homemade bbq sauce :drool:
No good taking them as bait though as they would never see the hook or the water!
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

If can buy rough pork mince then all you need are breadcrumbs and flavouring. You can buy small boxes of breadcrumbs from the flour and baking aisles of supermarkets. Flavouring only needs to be subtle; smoked paprika, garlic or aniseed and some salt. For 500g of mince put half to two-thirds of the meat through a blender to reduce the average grain size. Mix in a teaspoon of flavouring, some salt and around 50g or breadcrumbs and mix it all well. Then leave it for 20 minutes or so and test it with your hands. If you can roll a ball without it sticking to your hands then roll on. If not, add a little more breadcrumbs and rest it. Roll the balls when the mixture's consistency is right.

In a pre-heated oven at 180C 25 minutes is enough for small; 20mm balls and 35 minutes for larger 30mm balls. Or roll sausages and just break off what you want on the bank.

The last few batches I have made using sieved milled maize and ground hemp instead of breadcrumbs to absorb the moisture.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

They look good enough to eat!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

If it's a paste you are looking for I'd contact Martin James

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Tengisgol wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:47 pm They look good enough to eat!
It is much the same recipe that I have just used to make some for our evening meal. In our version I add some onion, garlic and red pepper to the two-thirds of the minced pork that I further reduce in the blender. As well as the smoked paprika and salt I add a little hot chilli, origano and cumin seeds. They are cooked for 45 minutes in a hot oven and then served over tagliatelle with a complimentary smoked paprika and tomato sauce.

The fish get the economy version, but it is very effective for chub, carp and barbel. First time that I used the smoked paprika flavoured meatballs I had four species in one session; the three mentioned and a small wels catfish of about 2lb. I don't hair rig them. They are tough enough to stay on the hook when side hooked or can be mounted like you would luncheon meat. You can also render the mince and flavouring down into a paste using a blender and then add maize flour to thicken it up.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I’m a bit lazy, so I use that Polish garlic sausage you see everywhere. The extra garlicky one in the black plastic skin as opposed to the red skin.

My former neighbour, a keen Italian angler and chef, recommended Milano Salami to me but I haven’t tried it yet as I haven’t seen an unsliced chunk in the shops.

My Mum favoured cooked Cumberland sausage.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Try Toulouse sausage from Sainsburys. Remove skin break up into chunks and fry.
Don't do this if you're the slightest bit hungry as it will never see the river.
If you do decide the sausage is too good for the chub, fry with onions, add Dijon mustard, cream then add pasta and a handful of roughly chopped broad leaf parsley.
Serve with a glass of Mersault as a special treat.....
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”