DAM Quick Super 2S No.275 (with 2 speed)

The DAM Reels forum.
Coral Maestro
Chub

DAM Quick Super 2S No.275 (with 2 speed)

Post by Coral Maestro »

Here is an interesting version of the DAM Quick Super. It's the No. 275 2S with 2 speed.

The large red knob on the left side of the body adjacent to the handle operates a form of gear change. This has the effect of changing the amount of line that is retrieved per turn of the handle. If the knob is pushed in the bale carrier rotates twice per turn of the handle. If the knob is pulled out the bale carrier rotates 4 times per turn of the handle. The reel was produced in 1962.
I'm not sure what benefits this would bring in the real angling world but it's a novelty that didn't seem to catch on and I think this is the only DAM model with this feature.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Liphook
Barbel

Re: DAM Quick Super 2S No.275 (with 2 speed)

Post by Liphook »

Ooh that's something I've not seen before. Good find CM! What's it like in operation? I can definitely see that as useful addition for spinning and perhaps for playing big fish as the 2 speed multipliers are?

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I quite like that👏
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Now that is a new one on me from DAM. I did have a couple of Columbian (Japanese) fixed spool reels with two gears, they were on the large side too. Lower gear gives greater torque for heavy work, higher gear faster retrieve of free moving line etc.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Liphook wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:37 pm Ooh that's something I've not seen before. Good find CM! What's it like in operation? I can definitely see that as useful addition for spinning and perhaps for playing big fish as the 2 speed multipliers are?
I could see the 2 speed feature being useful for spinning and wobbling deadbaits. However, I think some training at the gym would be required beforehand if you want to hold this reel for any length of time - it's a hefty lump of metal!
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Evening All,
New one on me for a Dam Super (a beast of a reel)! The Sup Matic 707 also has two speeds, changed by pulling / pushing the button on the handle shaft. Fascinating to watch it work when opened up and clever engineering.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

In their catalogue DAM describe the Super as a reel for beach casting and sea fishing. I can only imagine, that the lower retrieval rate is meant for playing bigger fish. Unfortunately I don't have the catalogue, that shows your 2 speed version.
The DAM Quick Super is more a tank than a reel and that's not only because of the colour. I didn't have the time, to give mine a proper workout this season. Next year there's hopefully a catfish or two to keep this monster busy ...

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Duebel wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:35 am In their catalogue DAM describe the Super as a reel for beach casting and sea fishing. I can only imagine, that the lower retrieval rate is meant for playing bigger fish. Unfortunately I don't have the catalogue, that shows your 2 speed version.
The DAM Quick Super is more a tank than a reel and that's not only because of the colour. I didn't have the time, to give mine a proper workout this season. Next year there's hopefully a catfish or two to keep this monster busy ...
I thought it might make a suitable carp fishing reel. At least you wouldn't have to hold it all day!
- Jack Hargreaves.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

It is certainly suited for big carp as well. Definitely not a tool to carry around all day ...
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

High gear for free retrieve. Low gear for greater torque when heavy going playing a big fish. That's what it is. :fishing2:

It addresses the compromises of reels with high gearing having fast retrieve but poor torque and reels with low gearing having good torque but slow retrieve : it does both ! :fish:

Return to “DAM Reels”