A Quick Question On Cheese Paste?

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Silfield
Brown Trout

A Quick Question On Cheese Paste?

Post by Silfield »

I am about to stink out the house by making my first batch of cheese paste and, reading previous threads, noticed various inclusions of other additives namely garlic powder or salt.
I have neither in the house but do have plenty of fresh cloves. Is it ok to blitz up a fresh clove in the mix or would the pungent nature be detrimental to its effectiveness?
Thanks.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: A Quick Question On Cheese Paste?

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I've added Turmeric and or curry powder but you'll probably find that it works just as well without additives.
I know my chum Mick adds an egg to his mix to make it softer in cold weather so the hook pulls through into the fish.
At least I think that's right, maybe he will come on and reveal his secret formula? :secret:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I've used lazy garlic out of the tube, which was ok, so I don't see why not.
As for keeping paste soft in cold/winter conditions, I add a splash of Hemp or walnut oil or even glycerine to the mix...

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Lots of oil choices to use that work well: - almond - hemp - walnut - 'cooking' oil - rapeseed - olive - etc. Fish oils could be too strong a pong.

All soften the mix - but be careful how much you use otherwise it could end up as a slop requiring additional 'stiffener'.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Thank you for the replies.
I have just made the first batch which went down like the proverbial lead balloon with the others in the house, well apart from the dog who stuck to my side like glue and gratefully polished off any morsels.
I did wonder if it was a little soft and if it will stay on the hook but the mixture is a bit warm at the moment, I will give it a while to cool a bit and review in an hour or so.
There is an out of date scotch egg in the fridge that I can use as a substitute bait if the paste doesn't work :Wink:
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A little boilie base mix - cheap - nothing special - will stiffen the mix.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

After making your paste pop it in the fridge for a couple of hours to bring it down to 'winter bank temperature' as the temperature in your house may be a lot warmer and that affects the consistency. I make it slightly more soft than necessary and after moulding it around the hook dip it in the water for a few seconds to firm it up before casting. The water is usually colder than the air temperature when I go fishing.

I also use a grain of sweetcorn on the hook or maize on a short hair to mould the cheese paste around. That helps it stay on and gives insurance of at least having some bait out if it doesn't stay on.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:17 pm After making your paste pop it in the fridge for a couple of hours to bring it down to 'winter bank temperature' as the temperature in your house may be a lot warmer and that affects the consistency. I make it slightly more soft than necessary and after moulding it around the hook dip it in the water for a few seconds to firm it up before casting. The water is usually colder than the air temperature when I go fishing.

I also use a grain of sweetcorn on the hook or maize on a short hair to mould the cheese paste around. That helps it stay on and gives insurance of at least having some bait out if it doesn't stay on.
That's a good tip :clap:
I will try that, thank you :Hat:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I've always started my pastes with a 50/50 base mix*, plus eggs, I then customise as required..
* base mix consists of Semolina & Soya Flour, equal part 50/50..

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Lots of good food for thought, thanks.
After an hour or so in the fridge I had a few underam casts in the garden with the paste moulded around a hook an it held fine.
Looking forward to giving it a try tomorrow in a very small local river that I have caught small chub in whilst trotting maggot, let's hope their parents are obliging.
Washington Irving

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”