How to make a rod bag

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Harry H
Tench

How to make a rod bag

Post by Harry H »

Measure the widest point of your rod sections and add 1/2" wiggle room then add them together with seam allowances so my case

5 1/4 + 1/2" + 2 1/2" + 1/2"= 8 3/4 then you need to add a 1/2" for your seam allowance giving me a width of 9 1/4" for the rod bag
For the length measure the longest section in my case
61 1/2" + 9" for the flap + 1/2" for two seam allowances = 71"
Next cut out your material to size and however many ties you require also plus two more pieces the width of your bag plus an inch to form the opening and a hanging loop for this I use bias binding. A guide for length is 5 x finished bag width in my case 4 1/2" = 22 1/2" and approx 5" for the hanging loop.
Next fold the bag in half to give you the basic bag shape then measure from the bottom up to find where the rod bag opening will be in this one it will be 62 " which includes 1/4" seam allowance and a 1/4" hem to stop fraying at the opening of the bag.
Next cut across one layer of the fabric and down 1/4"to give you your opening, the 1/4 " down cut is so you can fold it over to form the hem, this can be stuck down with PVA to keep it in position for sewing on the bias binding if necessary.
Next take one of the pieces of bias binding and fold one end Image
Place it on the hem and butt it up against the centre fold and sew in place (this is done with the bag unfolded) Image
Next fold the bag in half again with the piece of bias binding on the inside, you have now got the bag inside out and ready to sew up the bag, you may find ironing the bag helps to keep it flat and in position, you can also use pins to hold the edges to be sewn and remove them as you go along.
Next start sewing from the bottom folded corner, don't forget to add the hanging loop and also that your bag is inside out so put the loop end inside so you can't see it Image
Then when you turn it back after sewing the loop will be exposed. Now sew around the edge up until the bias binding opening then place the other piece of bias binding up against the other Image
Then place the flap over it then carry on sewing around the flap to top folded corner.
Next trim off the corners, this will make the corners neater when turn the correct way round. Image
Next turn the bag so it is no longer inside out.
Next give it an iron so it's nice and flat to make sewing in the deviding lines easier(when sewing in your dividers don't forget to add the bottom tye) also note the piece of masking tape that makes sewing dividing line the correct distance along the length of the bag.Image
but before you do that you'll need to sew down the remaining piece of bias binding not forgetting to fold in the loose end so it matches the bottom edge.Image
Last of all sew on the top tye.
Give it a go :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: How to make a rod bag

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Well done Richard, that is a really good tutorial on the magical art of cloth origami.

Every time I get the sewing machine out, it goes back with no needles left :Hahaha:

Wal.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Nice job! I'm thinking of having a go myself and was considering using heavy duty twill. Is that the material you use?
I think I'll have to practice my technique on some cheap material first as the sewing machine I have access to is an old Singer from the 1920's!
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

This is excellent and I’d really like to try myself sometime.

On a similar subject, has anyone heard from Ellen Lawrence recently? I tried emailing a couple of weeks ago but haven’t had a reply.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Thank you for sharing your skills with us!
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

very nice. need to make some more myself...

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Coral Maestro wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:32 pm Nice job! I'm thinking of having a go myself and was considering using heavy duty twill. Is that the material you use?
I think I'll have to practice my technique on some cheap material first as the sewing machine I have access to is an old Singer from the 1920's!
I used cotton twill and bias binding for the ties I wouldn't use anything to thick as you machine may struggle when you get a few layers together. I learned to sew on a singer treadle machine I must say Mrs H's machine is alot easier to use :Thumb:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Thanks for the advice!
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

Amazing work. About the only sewing I can manage is replacing the button on my trousers, which pop off with alarming regularity.

I bodge holes in a rod tube. Then push a zip tie through, then clip on the strap from a bag. Works ok for a single rod canal trip.

All the best.
Will.

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”