Replacement landing net mesh

Traditional landing nets large and small.
OldAngler
Perch

Replacement landing net mesh

Post by OldAngler »

Does anyone know where I can buy a FINE MESH replacement landing net mesh?
I need one for a triangular frame of 16 -17 inch arms. I guess this would equate to about 17 - 18 inch diameter circular frame.

I can easily buy one with about 1 inch mesh, which I already have, but find that when Grayling wriggle in the net the float and split shot gets very tangled in the mesh.

Many thanks, Old Angler

Old Man River
Eel

Re: Replacement landing net mesh

Post by Old Man River »

HMMM.. I have been asked for fine mesh nets to be fitted several times when making traditional ash frame landing nets to order. BIt of a nightmare really.

As far as I know the only way to get a fine mesh is to buy a full landing net head the same size or near enough to your own frame, with the mesh of your choice fitted , then change it for the mesh on your own frame , which, if you have a modern frame, seems a bit of a waste of time .

Best of luck, I shall be watching this thread ,as somebody may just come up with an alternative solution.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The rubber mesh ones seem to be better as bits don't seem to go through so easily - that's what I find, I might just be lucky? :Scared:

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Old Man River wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:31 pm HMMM.. I have been asked for fine mesh nets to be fitted several times when making traditional ash frame landing nets to order. BIt of a nightmare really.

As far as I know the only way to get a fine mesh is to buy a full landing net head the same size or near enough to your own frame, with the mesh of your choice fitted , then change it for the mesh on your own frame , which, if you have a modern frame, seems a bit of a waste of time .

Best of luck, I shall be watching this thread ,as somebody may just come up with an alternative solution.

OMR
This is what I did with a net I got from Wal... I paid £14.99 for a Guru head and swapped the mesh out as I thought the supplied mesh would be a tad harsh... had to wreck the Guru frame to get the mesh off, but it was worth it in the end
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I have to admit that when replacing nets I tend to go for the rubberised Snowbee ones. They last ages and wash easily.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Duckett wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:11 pm I have to admit that when replacing nets I tend to go for the rubberised Snowbee ones. They last ages and wash easily.
Plus 1, very fish friendly :Thumb:

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Post by NorfolkTinca »

I resisted the rubberised ones for ever, thinking they were too "modern" - until I tried one. Now I have three or four, and I'd fit one to my 42" if I could find one.
My biggest fish is not necessarily my best

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have a 42" one via NGT who I think sold out very quickly! I am still looking for a spare.
Found one but a complete net/handle/spreader block at 36"" and 42"" - not cheap!!

I have the Snowbee ones for smaller nets.

OldAngler
Perch

Post by OldAngler »

Gentlemen. Thank you for your advice. I shall order a rubber Snowbee net mesh.

Regards, Old Angler

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

I was somewhat sceptical about rubber nets, but swayed by some of the posts on here, I decided to take the plunge.
I have a beautiful net frame and pole, made by Old Man River. Thank you again, David! :Hat:
My net frame is his 'small' version.
Finding a supplier was a bit of an issue, as everyone appeared to be out of stock.
But eventually I came across Troutcatchers.co.uk, who also happened to have a 10% reduced price offer on. I could not enter my details quickly enough, and two days later, the net arrived. The total delivered price was £13.26.

At first I had thought that the net would be too big, being suitable for nets 'up to 60" circumference. In fact, when I ran a tape measure around the frame of my OMR net, it came to 58", and the Snowbee net is a perfect fit.
It is clearly more shallow than a traditional wide mesh net, but as I am not expecting to tussle with 60lb catfish, I am very happy with it. I find it easier to unhook fish while they are still in the net across my knees.

There is something a bit kinky about the feel of the rubber - my wife cannot bear to touch it - but it certainly looks just fine.
Thanks to those who put me on to it.
Perfik.jpg
Label.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Banksy on Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”