French named Grice and Young centrepins

The Grice and Young Reels forum.
Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

French named Grice and Young centrepins

Post by Martin(rockape) »

Does anyone know why Grice and Young uesd French names for 2 of their reels?

D'or (Gypsy D'or) French for Gold.
D'argent (Gypsy d'argent) French for Silver.

Regards

Martin

Duckett
Tench

Re: French named Grice and Young centrepins

Post by Duckett »

No but I am also trying to work out why the called one The Wirral! Even now it’s a place few have heard of and has no obvious links to either Hampshire or fishing!

I have a sneaking suspicion that someone at the company liked to create an air of mystery once they moved away from the Avon. I mean, Orlando?
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

They could have picked a name from many other rivers down that way.

Regards

Martin

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Duckett wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:08 pm No but I am also trying to work out why the called one The Wirral! Even now it’s a place few have heard of and has no obvious links to either Hampshire or fishing!

I have a sneaking suspicion that someone at the company liked to create an air of mystery once they moved away from the Avon. I mean, Orlando?
There have been a couple of G&Y Wirral De Luxe on an auction site recently : pricey and one looks repainted to me.
Last edited by Stingray on Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Stingray wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:28 pm
Duckett wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:08 pm No but I am also trying to work out why the called one The Wirral! Even now it’s a place few have heard of and has no obvious links to either Hampshire or fishing!

There have been a couple of Wirrals on an auction site recently : pricey and one looks repainted to me.
Precisely. One day, I’ll pick one up but they almost always have bits missing, are a wreck or have been badly repainted!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Duckett wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:30 pm

There have been a couple of Wirrals on an auction site recently : pricey and one looks repainted to me.
Precisely. One day, I’ll pick one up but they almost always have bits missing, are a wreck or have been badly repainted!
Seen the wirral, completely different to all the other centrepins that Grice and Young made....horrible but thats just my thought.

Regards

Martin

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Martin(rockape) wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:37 pm
Duckett wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:30 pm

Seen the wirral, completely different to all the other centrepins that Grice and Young made....horrible but thats just my thought.

Regards

Martin
Yes, does look horrible but with the name, I know I’m going to have to! :Hahaha:

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

It wasn't just Grice & Young. Look at the Marco range of rods. I have a Capella Deluxe which sounds like a vulgar American car from the 60's.

They did 'The Nymph' which isn't a fly rod. Indeed one member on here thought it was too powerful to be a carp rod and was intending using the blank as a landing net handle! :shocked:

Then there is 'The Test' that also isn't a fly rod. Halford would be turning in his grave if you were to use that three piece barbel rod on his hallowed stretches. And whoever designated the name 'Kia-Ora' must have been on something stronger than Woodbines.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Dont forget the man from Dal Monte, he say yes.

Wal.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Just looked on the auction site, I have to say that Grice and Young made some nice centrepins, looking fairly presentable and obviously up to the job,I know as I have one .
They also made some “ reel” tractors as well, the boat multipliers they produced were the ugliest things ever, I had the dubious pleasure of servicing one of the Tatlers a while ago 😱 together with some of their centrepins they would be more fitting in a scrapyard than as a useable reel, they may work and do the job intended but would never win a beauty contest.
Maybe on a collectors cupboard in a space marked room 101. ?

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Return to “Grice and Young Reels”