French named Grice and Young centrepins

The Grice and Young Reels forum.
Stingray
Grayling

Re: French named Grice and Young centrepins

Post by Stingray »

Old Man River wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:04 am Just looked on the auction site, I have to say that Grice and Young made some nice centrepins, looking fairly presentable and obviously up to the job,I know as I have one .
They also made some “ reel” tractors as well, the boat multipliers they produced were the ugliest things ever, I had the dubious pleasure of servicing one of the Tatlers a while ago 😱 together with some of their centrepins they would be more fitting in a scrapyard than as a useable reel, they may work and do the job intended but would never win a beauty contest.
Maybe on a collectors cupboard in a space marked room 101. ?

OMR
I serviced and owned a few Tatlers and I must say I found them impressive chunks of reel. Were popular over a fair stretch of years; the final model even used a material that I can't mention here with the initials CF.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Duckett wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:08 pm No but I am also trying to work out why the called one The Wirral! Even now it’s a place few have heard of and has no obvious links to either Hampshire or fishing!

I have a sneaking suspicion that someone at the company liked to create an air of mystery once they moved away from the Avon. I mean, Orlando?
The Orlando is a sea fishing reel so l guess they were going for a tenuous big game fishing connection.
The G & Y company were in aeroplane parts too so maybe moved in exotic circles . Hence a reel named .. The Wirrel
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:24 am It wasn't just Grice & Young. Look at the Marco range of rods. I have a Capella Deluxe which sounds like a vulgar American car from the 60's.

They did 'The Nymph' which isn't a fly rod. Indeed one member on here thought it was too powerful to be a carp rod and was intending using the blank as a landing net handle! :shocked:

Then there is 'The Test' that also isn't a fly rod. Halford would be turning in his grave if you were to use that three piece barbel rod on his hallowed stretches. And whoever designated the name 'Kia-Ora' must have been on something stronger than Woodbines.
I quite like Capella .It works on several levels . There is a star called Capella . It is another name for a snipe ,which has a pointy beak, a bit like a fishing rod. Most tenuous of all , it has links with the word Chapel ,which is possibly where we should be on a Sunday instead of fishing🙂

As for the Marco Nymph ; if they weren't referring
to a sea nymph maybe they were being ironic. ......Or just plain taking the micky🙂
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Return to “Grice and Young Reels”