Orlando reel; how much line?

The Grice and Young Reels forum.
Kev D
Chub

Orlando reel; how much line?

Post by Kev D »

I've been on a mission to sort out my reels and finally changed my Orlando to left hand wind.
It was was easy enough to switch the brackets on the reel foot and spool carrier but I hadn't realised that it had a cenrifugal clutch which also needed reversing.
Then l realised that at the base of the spindle there are three little rollers set in keyways in a plate .
20201201_134154_resized.jpg
Simply turning the plate over reversed the clutch for L/H wind and increased my appreciation of the thought Grice &Young's put into their designs.
20201215_165139_resized.jpg
I'm determined to use the reel ,hence my question.How close to the rim of the spool should l load the line?
Any experiences would be gratefully recieved.
Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Liphook
Barbel

Re: Orlando reel; how much line?

Post by Liphook »

So that's where the Marryat fly reels copied their clutch plate drag from! Good old G&Y. Can't help on the line level Kev as I've never owned one, but I'd risk overloading and then pare back accordingly if I were you. Mono like Sensor is very inexpensive. Interesting reel :Hat: May I ask what you intend to use it for?

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

I have my Orlando Minor filled to more or less where th drum curves sharply away but would recommend quite thick line: 20lb to 25lb mono is good; not made for thin lines. Try not to cast 200yards with it as reeling back in at 1:1 will take all day ( :Wink: ); I like to use mine for fairly close in beach work and not in very windy weather as without a line-guard.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Thank you Gentlemen. I shall load to the curve.
And thank you both for the tips on breaking strain and mono. I don't think braid would like the metal rim !
I haven't fished from a beach for years but I'm thinking of using it for pike or short casts from a boat when sea fishing .
Getting a quick bite while changing the spool from casting to winding mode might be a bit "exciting" .
Thank you
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Don't forget to alternate the drum with handles forward and handles backward when casting to counteract the line twist that accumulates with sidecasters and use the blue lever, the Memory Tickler, forward/back to remind you which one you last did. Have a good one, I've always planned to try mine for pike but not got around to it yet.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Stingray wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:50 am Don't forget to alternate the drum with handles forward and handles backward when casting to counteract the line twist that accumulates with sidecasters and use the blue lever, the Memory Tickler, forward/back to remind you which one you last did. Have a good one, I've always planned to try mine for pike but not got around to it yet.
I was impressed by the anti kink function ,ie spool reversability🙂

" Memory Tickler"; good name . I sort of worked out what the blue lever was for. It either had to a "Memory Tickler" or a G & Y joke. ...
Thank you.

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

I never knew these reels could be swapped from rhw to lhw.
Mine only has simple check which cannot be reversed.
Is mine a junior model?

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Post by Martin(rockape) »

OhMyGoodness wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:21 pm Image

I never knew these reels could be swapped from rhw to lhw.
Mine only has simple check which cannot be reversed.
Is mine a junior model?
I wonder what your reel was a prize for, maybe angling times can trace it back.

Regards

Martin

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

I thought AT had closed?

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Post by Martin(rockape) »

OhMyGoodness wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:55 am I thought AT had closed?
No, its Anglers Mail that finished.

Regards

Martin

Return to “Grice and Young Reels”