Cost of the bag?

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Willow And Cane
Ruffe

Cost of the bag?

Post by Willow And Cane »

What value would be placed upon having the correct rod bag?
I know that having everything as correct as possible is the way to go but if the rod looks good but the bag is missing would it be a deal breaker?
Thanks Andy

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Cost of the bag?

Post by Tengisgol »

It’s all down to personal taste really. The bag won’t catch you a fish is my view.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Willow And Cane wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:02 pm What value would be placed upon having the correct rod bag?
I know that having everything as correct as possible is the way to go but if the rod looks good but the bag is missing would it be a deal breaker?
Thanks Andy
Not at all, you fish with the rod not the bag! :Hahaha: If the rod has an original bag it is a bonus, but by no means is it a deal breaker! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I suspect a serious collector might insist on the correct bag but as they are often the first thing to go, had no makers marks (Oliver’s of Knebworth) or simply never existed (a la Bernard Sealey, see Ashby Cut posts), even that is a moot point!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

(1) If you are a collector then the original bag is very nice to have with a desirable rod.It may also mean that the rod has been cherished and well looked after.
(2) The correct bag which may not be the original one is nice to have and adds to the interest and "completes" the set.
(3) A newly made copy or similar will protect the rod, and even if you have either of the above can be used when the rod is taken for an outing thus protecting the original/correct bag for the future.

It is worth mentioning that sellers sometimes sell original bags if they are valuable and replace with copies.Usually unmarked.

To answer your Q.It is not a deal breaker if the correct bag is missing. :Hat:

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

The B James bags do seem to go for a lot of money what rod is it for?
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Willow And Cane
Ruffe

It is for a Richard Walker IV.

Thanks

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Willow And Cane wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:14 pm It is for a Richard Walker IV.

Thanks
The earlier ones would have probably had just a plain green bag with no label what model is yours?
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Willow And Cane
Ruffe

I have not bought it yet.
I am looking at the various options and can see some with bag and some without so was trying to put the value of the bag against the difference in the prices.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Willow And Cane wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:46 pm I have not bought it yet.
I am looking at the various options and can see some with bag and some without so was trying to put the value of the bag against the difference in the prices.
The beige coloured labelled bags sell on ebay £35 -£50 but I'd be more concerned about the rod than the bag.
Good luck with your quest to find one. :Hat:
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”