Braces

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Ally
Silver Bream

Braces

Post by Ally »

Does anyone here use braces to keep their troos up? I find belts a right pain as thermal vests keep coming untucked and its hard to tuck them back with a belt. Im thinking braces might be better to stop unwelcome draughts or redface moments!

Champ
Chub

Re: Braces

Post by Champ »

Back in my specimen hunting days i wore various ex army jacket and trousers from the Army and Navy stores.One pair of trousers came high up the back
and needed braces to keep them up.They were very comfortable and matched with their jacket were very warm and reasonably waterproof.The braces were the button up Y type.
I went on to wear braces with my every day trousers for a while.The clip type ones.I have not worn braces for many years now though.One chap that i knew was convinced that wearing braces and no belt kept his stomach flat.He said that belts encouraged a flabby belly!. :Chuckle:

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

My fishing trousers are bib and brace, and I use a rascally set of yellow braces on my motorcycle as my riding trousers have a habit of heading south
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

I have a pair of field/shooting trousers that are ideal for fishing on a damp cold day. They are quite high up the back and need a pair of braces of the button on variety to make them comfortable. Without braces the bit above the normal belt line folds over and rucks up. If the truth be know, the real reason for the braces is because of the 'covid stone' and Christmas I can no longer do the button up! :shocked:
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Post by Gobio Gobio »

I like a pair of braces over a belt till one pings off.
Like many things I have a lot of vintage braces with button loops but no trousers with the appropriate buttons.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Due to the fact that my waist vanished years ago (my exponentially expanding girth leading to statistics of 44 - 44 - 44 ... oh for the days when I had a 32 inch waist !!!) , I have been wearing braces to prevent the embarrassment of displaying my knees at inappropriate moments ... an eventuality known to have frightened women, children. and small animals !!!

I still wear a belt ... but not as tightly as I would have to in order to prevent involuntary debagging !!!

I even have an 'industrial strength' pair to keep up my motor cycle trousers.

I can heartily recommend the practice, especially with breeches which, as some members will know, are my bankside trouserings of choice for TFF outings !

((What a great day that was !!!!! ... Here's hoping for many more !!!))
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Ally
Silver Bream

Post by Ally »

Cheers guys. Am going to give braces a go. Like the sound of high back trousers

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Never worn braces but earlier this season, whilst carrying my gear, my belt came undone and I reached my swim with my trousers around my ankles. So, never say never.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Dave Burr wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:36 pm Never worn braces but earlier this season, whilst carrying my gear, my belt came undone and I reached my swim with my trousers around my ankles. So, never say never.
🤮 🤮🤮

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

With my breeches and my going fishing trousers braces every time, I have a thick elastic type but with heavy duty grips, I’m skinny ribs and I find a belt often needs tightening up to get a good hold up, so braces for me.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”