I’d like a Hardy Altex... but!

The Hardy Reels forum.
Aitch
Pike

Re: I’d like a Hardy Altex... but!

Post by Aitch »

Shropshire Lad wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:17 am Get yourself an Abu 44x in my opinion a far superior reel that still looks good on cane ( i have used an Altex in the past and had issues with the line catching in the roller on the bail, the last thing you want with a large and powerful fish on. The Abu is bombproof , parts are easier to source Les Shaw has an abundance, super fast retrieve and good looks.
I use both and they both have many good qualities, but when it comes right down to it, I prefer my Altex.

The drag on the Abu is okay, but nowhere near as precise and controlled as the Altex. The rear drag on the 444a is a bonus, as you can leave the bail closed and the clutch backed right off, something you can't really do on the Altex without getting in a pickle... I managed to drop an Abu and broke the nylon moulding inside (not cheap) I suppose Altex spares are just as pricey...

Yes I think on balance, for me an Altex, gets the nod, my no2 Mk V is just a lovely reel to use and my.... doesn't it look nice...?
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I think most would agree that aesthetically - an Altex cannot be bettered when being paired to a piece of cane as far as spooled reels are concerned. But it’s not just good looks it is built so wonderfully well that nothing compares to them in sheer quality.

The clutch is the best I have experienced on a spooled reel - whether you choose a drag as in Mal’s post or not you have to set the clutch and when you have you will be awaiting on one of the sweetest sounds in traditional fishing.

If you plan to only purchase one Altex you cannot go wrong with the MKII V as shown in Mal’s post originally.

Lastly avoid buying the best aesthetically, as this can be remedied - it is the internals that generally are in need of a fettle, and the spring/bail cover if it is on your reel of choice. With the above in mind (and I learned the hard way) remember that when buying from a dealer be aware that they have very little understanding of the reels workings except for telling you about a snappy bail arm - ignore all that - a well used reel in some cosmetic need is probably going to be as good if not better than a hardly used but good looking one.

There are individuals out there who will fettle, service and bring your reel back to its former glory if desired and of course that’s if you cannot undertake all the necessary work if required yourself.

Good luck in your quest and don’t be swayed by others recommendations - you will NOT be disappointed.

Here is a picture of an fully restored MKII V.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

I couldn't get on with mine. Mk5 number 2 with anti reverse. I sold it for more than i paid for it. Narrow spool was fiddly, couldn't lock up the clutch easily. Abu or early Dam reels are better in my humble opinion. Maybe an Exalta? Haven't tried one of those

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

I have owned and used all three sizes of the Hardy Altex.No1(x2) and No 3 were in such good condition that they were used sparingly and looked fantastic in the cabinet.I had two No 2 reels.One with the anti reverse and one without.I enjoyed using the No2 reels but line frequently became trapped under the spool.Its quite fiddly taking the reel apart "in the field".I was always worried that i would lose a washer or worse so i made sure i had a safe place to undo the spool and lay out the washers clutch screw and top screw as i freed the line.Usually on a towel on a seat.
In the end i retired the Altex reels and now use early Mitchell 300s when i need a fixed spool reel.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I have a No2 without anti reverse. I've had no problems with it at all. I much prefer it all the other fixed spools I have (Mitchell's, Ambidex etc) I think I paid about £90 for it. Certainly not in mint condition but fine to use.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I've owned three Altex, all No2 MkV versions, although the first one I had a handle from a No2 MkIV which I actually prefer. It has a very fine knurled locking nut which was replaced by the simpler but less lovely hex nut on the MKV. I have kept the best two Altex of the three I've had.

I would actually only buy the very best looking reels that have had minimal use. The reason for this is that I've played with dozens of them and there seems to be a huge gulf between the functionality and overall super smoothness of little used examples and the much more common place rather rougher worn versions that feel very very different. Perhaps the reels tended to see an awful lot of use or perhaps the design leads to premature wear, I'm not sure.

I would inspect any reel very, very carefully. I've seen many that on close inspection have damage which I think has been caused by careless handling or even dropping. Rotate the handle very slowly feeling for any stiffness at any point. Often this will be being caused by rubbing and often it's the flyer that isn't running perfectly true due to damage.

I think they are a superb reel for close in fishing but the narrow spool might be a hinderance if you are looking to fish at distance. I dread to think how much Hardy would charge for such a reel if they made them today.

Although everyone will say get the No2 MkV with the anti-reverse slider for me it wouldn't be a deal breaker. Although my reels have this feature I never use it. The best one I have ever come across was brand new old stock with no anti-reverse and had it not been RHW I'd have bought it. As noted before the precise super smooth functioning of this example was a world away from the typical worn versions you will come across.

I'd close by saying don't to be in any hurry to buy and unless you can rebuild the reel or know somebody who can do this for you I'd only buy an excellent example and suggest that the premium you'll pay for one in tip-top condition will be worth it in the long run.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

Lots of very sound advice here. As always buy the best you can find or afford. My No2 models are great looking reels and a joy to use

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

I just got a no.2 mk.1111 from the bay.
When it arrived, guess what, I don't have to worry about bail springs, it hasn't got one. It's one of those with gearing to close the bail.
I shall miss the solid 'clunk' of the bail closing of the usual type.
Once I owned nine of the beasts. A rhw & lhw of each no.1,2,& 3 plus extra no.2's . Greedy boy. Had to sell all when money was short..... regrets! 😪

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

There's a master at repair and refurbishment of all the Hardy fixed-spool reels who has recently moved home from Poland to Holland. Ask at one of the Hardy groups on Facebook or the reel refurbishment group.

Return to “Hardy Reels”