Worms on barbless

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
OldRod
Grayling

Re: Worms on barbless

Post by OldRod »

Thanks for all the tips and advice Gentlemen. I very rarely (well never) have maggots, but I do employ the trick of pushing the worm up onto the line, so that the knot and the eye of the hook then form a barrier to the worm getting back onto the shank of the hook, and from there, off. Many thanks again. As maggots have been mentioned, is there any problem keeping them on a barbless hook?
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I usually pinch the worm in half, and push the hook through the broken bit. Sometimes I push it just past the knot. I think that works. Best method for me is hooking a red maggot on after the worm to hold it on.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

For lobs, I impale and the take the hook all the way past the eye or spade so that the hook is completely the other side of the worms body.
Find this brings more positive bites but that I be my imagination.

Small worms, am still using my stash of red laggy bands discarded by the postman.
Was annoyed when they went over to ordinary elastic bands

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Those PO red ones lasted for ages!

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

Olly wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:32 pm Those PO red ones lasted for ages!
I tied some "flies" from them, just a length of laggy tied to a hook with fine red wire from an old relay solenoid coil. Great for dropshotting for perch.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Homer Simpson wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:43 pm For lobs, I impale and the take the hook all the way past the eye or spade so that the hook is completely the other side of the worms body.
Find this brings more positive bites but that I be my imagination.

Small worms, am still using my stash of red laggy bands discarded by the postman.
Was annoyed when they went over to ordinary elastic bands
Why is it postmen just drop their elastic bands? Why is this okay? Why doesn't it bother other people? It seriously winds me up.

About a year ago I walked up the road picking them up on the way to the shops. I accidentally caught him up and decided I'd give them back to him. He took them from me without saying a word and stuffed them in his pocket.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Should have kept them - excellent to use and are very long lasting - unlike normal ones!

Also "worm coloured" - not brown!

Sneezewort
Bleak

Post by Sneezewort »

Carp Artist wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:53 pm Hi OldRod ,
I usually hook the worm through the saddle and impale a small slither of elastic band over the hook to trap the said worm in place.
Me too, especially when the worm is a muscular fellow prone to escaping at the first chance he gets!
Earthing the current
“ I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order" - John Burroughs

The Retro Angler
Minnow

Post by The Retro Angler »

NiceRoach wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:28 pm Hook in the normal way and tip with a maggot, that's what they told me to do. :tea:
Me too.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

I've used small pieces of elastic band in the past but I would imagine these are quite effective:
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”