Good quality wellies without breaking the bank

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Coral Maestro
Chub

Good quality wellies without breaking the bank

Post by Coral Maestro »

I'm on the lookout for a pair of decent wellies for fishing that would last more than 3 months.
I bought a pair last year from a supposed good quality maker for £80 and they lasted less than 3 months before they split!
My budget is up to about £100 but I expect a pair that will last for that kind of money.
Any suggestions?
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Good quality wellies without breaking the bank

Post by Dave Burr »

I bought a pair of LE CHAMEAU wellies around five years ago and they are still very comfortable and going strong. Mind you, these were in a sale and 'only' cost £60 or so. It seemed a lot at the time but has been a bargain.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I’d go for Chameau - with this type of request it’s each to there own - but from a quality point of view the pair I use now have been with me for 5 years - I still have my previous pair as well I caught the strap on these and broke it. Normally retail at around £160-70 for the neoprene lined ones - not essential but do work in Winter and Summer. Have a look on that auction site, I’ve seen them for as little as £75-100 which is on budget.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

I have a pair of Rovex lightweight wellies with liners for keeping your feet snug and warm. I bought them two years ago and they are still going strong. A good buy for less than forty quid!!

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Spent £15 quid on a pair of Lidl specials 4 years ago... they're still going strong
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I have a pair of Hunters that have lasted for over 20 years but I don't wear them in the summer when I'm creeping around carp ponds. I imagine kneeling etc will place constant wear on wellies and cause them to split. I have no idea how much Hunters cost these days and expect I'd fall over at the price and doubt I'd buy them again. My only real complaint is that they are too tight on me around my ankles to wear fleece lines socks with them.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I too have Le Chameau - neoprene lined rubber ones - bought after having pneumonia about 20 years ago. Treated well - cleaned - etc - - and still going strong - - worn 90% on the time when fishing. Cannot fault them. Not cheap now but about £100 or less then.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Thank you all for your recommendations.
I've heard that Hunter wellies are now made overseas and the quality has nosedived so I'll give them a miss.
I've read a couple of welly reviews and Seeland seem to do well. Does anyone have any experience of that make?
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

My last two pairs have been basic Dunlop lasting almost three years. £15 to £20

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Seeland is like Le Chameau - hunting, shooting and fishing clothing and boots - but I think a bit more expensive!

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”