Ban for worms on the Wye?

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Old Wulf
Gudgeon

Re: Ban for worms on the Wye?

Post by Old Wulf »

I believe there is a misconception here. The issue brought to light by Troydog is not about angling politics within a club but for me does put the spotlight on angling democracy in the wider world. Perhaps though the issue that has somewhat annoyed me may only pertain to the Wye Local Fishing Group. Here we have a situation that every member has an equal vote, but only a few actually represent organisations that have mass membership that encompasses all disciplines within angling. The rest are a combination of self interested individuals or representatives of organisations with a narrow focus. I am just amazed that significant decisions could be made without wide and proper consultation.
Troydog has acted within his powers - voted against the proposal. However within the rarified atmosphere of the Wye LFG I fear he will be a voice in the wilderness.
For my part I'm not a regular user of worm as a bait, so if a ban came into place it would not affect me. However I see so many anglers for whom the use of a worm is an important part of their fishing. I am motivated to "shout out" on this matter purely because I believe it to be totally unfair, totally disproportionate and totally unenforceable. The last point though is important in that it is possible someone could be in trouble if caught and the decision making process behind it is, in reality, flawed.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Thank you gentlemen. The H&DAA committee has not met for a year so I have to take a view on issues that I think will influence our members. I could be wrong of course, but it is very helpful for me to read the views of anglers on TFF. Whatever the votes of the Wye LFG, I think that the final decision on the proposed bye law amendments will rest with NRW and EA.
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Old Wulf
Gudgeon

Post by Old Wulf »

I sincerely hope so.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Best of luck Tim :Hat: Surely sense will prevail :Beg:

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Ban worms!! How preposterous..... be easier to ban the salmon anglers :tea: :Tongue: :eyebrow:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Loop Erimder wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:32 pm Ban worms!! How preposterous..... be easier to ban the salmon anglers :tea: :Tongue: :eyebrow:
It doesn't help when a lot of Salmon anglers view all other anglers as poachers on THEIR river... who made them the ruling body and able to suggest/enforce daft rules such as this without a shred of evidence to back up outrageous claims
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

I think the concern here from the salmon anglers point of view is the by-catch of salmon parr when worms are being used. There is a similar concern regarding the use of maggots on some stretches of the welsh Dee. I've caught a few when using worms for grayling on the welsh Dee.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Aitch wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:34 pm
Loop Erimder wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:32 pm Ban worms!! How preposterous..... be easier to ban the salmon anglers :tea: :Tongue: :eyebrow:
It doesn't help when a lot of Salmon anglers view all other anglers as poachers on THEIR river... who made them the ruling body and able to suggest/enforce daft rules such as this without a shred of evidence to back up outrageous claims
That's perhaps because historically the actual owners of the river chose salmon fishing as their sport? Maybe they still do even in the face of declining salmon stocks? Salmon anglers certainly pay a huge premium over coarse anglers in the way of rod licence and permit fees and have been doing for a long, long time. There's a tradition and history there that should be acknowledged and upheld. Perhaps some of you gents should consider joining the fight, educate some minds and improve all of our lots rather than wag fingers and continue the bickering and apathy that makes angling such a weak voice in this world? The false division and those that perpetuate it are deluded - if you fish with a rod and line you're an angler and it's just as simple as that! That's certainly the all important public perception. Divided we most definitely will fall and a lot sooner than the 'I'm alright Jacks' think

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Coral Maestro wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:41 pm I think the concern here from the salmon anglers point of view is the by-catch of salmon parr when worms are being used. There is a similar concern regarding the use of maggots on some stretches of the welsh Dee. I've caught a few when using worms for grayling on the welsh Dee.
Parr are suckers for flies too, maybe they'll be asking for a ban soon :tea:

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Coral Maestro wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:41 pm I think the concern here from the salmon anglers point of view is the by-catch of salmon parr when worms are being used. There is a similar concern regarding the use of maggots on some stretches of the welsh Dee. I've caught a few when using worms for grayling on the welsh Dee.
The proportion of Parr taken by anglers is infitessimal compared with that consumed by predators such as Goosander, Cormorant, Pike, Perch, Trout, Chub etc. A whole lot of nonsense in my opinion.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”