Ambidex issue

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
EricW
Perch

Ambidex issue

Post by EricW »

I recently purchased my first ever Ambidex. What a lovely reel. the only issue I could find was that it was really hard to turn the handle. Easy fix I thought, take the side plate off, give everything a thorough clean, a drop of oil and away we go. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be that easy. Inside it is beautifully made and it knocks spots off my more usual Mitchells for quality. I haven't stripped it to the last nut and bolt, but have separated it into units in order to wash it out. I was expecting to find it caked with hard, waxy grease, but actually there was no real sign of grease or lubricant inside it at all. the problem I have is that it is still hard to turn forwards. It runs as freely as I could ever wish backwards, but forwards it is very hard to get going. Once I do, it gets easier the faster I turn the handle. The long helical gear that drives the spool runs freely without the handle gear meshed to it, but as soon as I fit the adjacent gear, it becomes really hard to turn. Given how clean it was inside, I am wondering if it has been apart previously and assembled incorrectly. Any suggestions anybody?
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Re: Ambidex issue

Post by TrentFisher »

I am no expert but this help regarding the drive.

Good Luck
Nige.

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

Thank you Trentfisher, that was exactly what I needed. I've stripped it down further, cleaned, and re-assembled it and now it is runs beautifully. It must have been a tiny piece of muck in the gear somewhere, although I never found anything particlularly nasty. It seems to be very well machined and it probably takes very little to make it stick.
eric

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

Glad it helped.
They nice reels to use but from the post on this forum there were some ropey ones that escaped. I have one and no matter what I do with it it runs nowhere as smooth as my others.

Happy adventures.
Nige.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The handles on these reels are a bit too short to get the leverage they really need. The handle from later reels fits and misses the bail arm etc too.

I only spotted this this week myself, working on the same maodel as you have there the the first clip the 2FP.

In that first clip there is no mention of the clear plastic shim washer on the rhs of the cranshaft as the side cover comes off at 2m 27 seconds. Probably lost by a previous fettler......... Mitchell shims fit fortunately.

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

Thanks Nobby, I have used this reel now and agree that the handle is a bit short. I find that the bail arm is easier to turn over if you back up a bit before turning the handle. It seems to like a run up to flick the bail over. Probably one of the side effects of a short handle, other than that it seems really nice now. I do like the way that the reel sits closer to the rod than my mitchells having a short stem.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I had a real belter....in its box, still with the orange tissue paper. And I sold it. Fool.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I had exactly the same issue with an Ambidex. It was solved after repeatedly flushing with white spirit and re-lubing.

I can't get on with my Ambidex. I hoped that it would make a nice reel for light fishing, but the short handle and lack of an AR is a pain.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:37 pm I had exactly the same issue with an Ambidex. It was solved after repeatedly flushing with white spirit and re-lubing.

I can't get on with my Ambidex. I hoped that it would make a nice reel for light fishing, but the short handle and lack of an AR is a pain.
That IS an early one. You might find a later one with a/r more suitable...especially with the later handle fitted.

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”