Rod rests for wooden platforms....

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Re: Rod rests for wooden platforms....

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Fred wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:18 pm
BoltonBullfinch wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:09 pm
Fred wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:42 am A very nice idea BB, and infinitely adjustable. :Hat: :Thumb:
This pair are not adjustable Fred, but the next set I make will be adjustable. I just need to use these a few time to see how I will approach the mk2 set.

Thanks
BB
I was thinking that they were adjustable front to back (the distance between them) but the Mk2 could be good.
Hi Fred, yes they can be placed anywhere you like individually , but the heights are not adjustable was what I meant.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I have made a couple, to deal with a couple of different situations. At our club lake the planking is about 5-7mm apart. I created the first one with a couple of bolts to fit between the planks.

At a big roach venue, the planking is much closer together, about 2mm. This has two metal plates which fit between the planks. They are actually the right angle brackets, used to fit worktops to kitchen cabinets

The top one is a piece of beech, the bottom one an offcut of oak worktop. The chrome parts are bathroom fittings. They have grub screws which allows for the uprights to be removed or set at an angle.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

They'll look great with a bit of verdigris MG. Maybe a wipe of flux? I've been thinking - always dangerous - of a bamboo and coppper rod pod type of rest. I just need to find a suitable source of bamboo....

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

This is how the rests once adapted fit onto my chair. They can be loosened and rotated 180 degrees to fit under the seat for easier carriage.Image
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I have made a few different types over the years especially for use on wooden platforms but these are the easiest to make and the easiest to use. They have a stainless woodscrew fixed into the end and simply screw into the platform.

ImageImage

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

There was a very prominent rule at one day ticket lake I went to fish - - - "DO NOT SCREW INTO THE PLATFORMS". No please or thank you.

It was a match water where the seat boxes seem to have rod rests - a stove and kitchen sink, etc!

Long extendable rod rests - 5/6ft - required to be set to one side of the platform. I never got that far and departed - never been back.

This company make stage sticks - http://www.leevalleycustoms.com/products.php

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”