Rod rests for wooden platforms....

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Liphook
Barbel

Re: Rod rests for wooden platforms....

Post by Liphook »

Good work BB! Can you tell me the make of that thread you have used please?

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

They look great BB, are you planning a test drive soon?
Not fished many places with platforms yet but when encountered I have an extra long extending bank stick that pokes in front or to the side of the platform, with a bag or jacket to lift the butt off the deck. Usually a bit of a suck it and see situation, a far cry from your solution :Hat:
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Liphook wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:15 am Good work BB! Can you tell me the make of that thread you have used please?
There are two threads on the rests, both VS have a black thread that I got from the dark side on a spool of about 2000mts, I think it's d grade.
The thread on the bottom of the Vs and the bamboo is a green thread I also got on a bulk spool also from the unmentionable site, it's much heavier than the black thread.
I can show you if we ever do the Bitterling soiree.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

These are the threads used.
IMG_20210508_184650_resize_62.jpg
Thanks
BB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Thanks for the photos BB. Looking via my phone screen it looked like a flecked thread but I can see now it was an illusion! I'd love to meet up and try for a bitterling :Thumb: Maybe once we're into summer proper? :Hat:

Fred
Grayling

Post by Fred »

A very nice idea BB, and infinitely adjustable. :Hat: :Thumb:
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Fred wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:42 am A very nice idea BB, and infinitely adjustable. :Hat: :Thumb:
This pair are not adjustable Fred, but the next set I make will be adjustable. I just need to use these a few time to see how I will approach the mk2 set.

Thanks
BB

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Fredline wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:57 am I bought a set of "over / under" pole rests, I extended them and fitted them to my recliner chair. The are used "up" and have been working a treat for a few years now. As long as you take your chair you always have your wooden platform rests available.
Thanks for the suggestion John. Helen and I sometimes share a platform, making any rod rest almost impossible! I ordered 2 sets that arrived today and the are a great solution. All I needed to do was glue some 1mm cork (I use it for model railway track bed) inside the hole from the seat frame - they where about half a mm too wide for the frames of our Fox chairs.

Cheers,

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Most of the Billericay fisheries have platforms, so I use an extending rest on the front leg of my chair and another rest like Duckett's for the butt of the rod... works very well
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Fred
Grayling

Post by Fred »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:09 pm
Fred wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:42 am A very nice idea BB, and infinitely adjustable. :Hat: :Thumb:
This pair are not adjustable Fred, but the next set I make will be adjustable. I just need to use these a few time to see how I will approach the mk2 set.

Thanks
BB
I was thinking that they were adjustable front to back (the distance between them) but the Mk2 could be good.
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”