Waggler Fishing

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Silfield
Brown Trout

Re: Waggler Fishing

Post by Silfield »

Thank you Mark for the time and effort you have put into these videos, they have been a great help for a river fledgling like myself.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

Hello again Mark.
Can I please test your patience with another question?
Waggler part 2, about 6 minutes in. You discuss float tips with a hole in the side and an open top, so just the buoyancy of the tube itself keeping it afloat. Really good idea to allow a fatter float tip but retain good sensitivity.
However, with my efforts, the (plastic) float materials I have tried are all too dense, so they sink, and of course are unsuitable.
What material are your float tips for this type of float?
Tia
tight lines
Keith
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

OldRod wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:16 pm Hello again Mark.
Waggler part 2, about 6 minutes in. You discuss float tips with a hole in the side and an open top, so just the buoyancy of the tube itself keeping it afloat. Really good idea to allow a fatter float tip but retain good sensitivity.
However, with my efforts, the (plastic) float materials I have tried are all too dense, so they sink, and of course are unsuitable.
Tia
tight lines
Keith
Yes it's the volume of the tube not the tube with its space closed off.

The density of the plastic does not matter one iota even if the bit of plastic tube sinks on its own as it's the overall buoyancy of the float that will stop it sinking i.e. the main body of the float made from peacock quill, sarkandas reed etc. doesn't sink. You could make these tips from titanium tube with it open ended and it would still stay afloat.

This test float has a solid steel nail as antenna and it stays afloat if somewhat top-heavy:
IMG_0742.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

Ah ok thanks Mark - I see now. The buoyancy that keeps it afloat is the small part of the body of the float (suitably shotted) still showing below the tip, which would be difficult to see on its own, but very sensitive, and the tip, as you say, has no buoyancy, but very visible.
I think I've got it now.
Many thanks - I really appreciate your videos, and your kind replies to my questions.
Tight lines
Keith

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

OldRod wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:22 pm Ah ok thanks Mark - I see now. The buoyancy that keeps it afloat is the small part of the body of the float (suitably shotted) still showing below the tip, which would be difficult to see on its own, but very sensitive, and the tip, as you say, has no buoyancy, but very visible.
I think I've got it now.
Many thanks - I really appreciate your videos, and your kind replies to my questions.
Tight lines
Keith
Not quite.

None of the buoyant part of the body has to be still showing above the surface of the water; part of the denser than water tip will still show and stay afloat above the surface until the fish pulls it under.
Here is my float with solid steel (about 7 times denser than water) tip with just a bit of the tip floating above the water with the buoyant bady of balsa entirely submerged. Try this out yourself.
IMG_1592a.jpg
IMG_1593 a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

DaceAce wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:40 pm
OldRod wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:16 pm Hello again Mark.
Tia
tight lines
Keith
Yes it's the volume of the tube not the tube with its space closed off.

The density of the plastic does not matter one iota even if the bit of plastic tube sinks on its own as it's the overall buoyancy of the float that will stop it sinking i.e. the main body of the float made from peacock quill, sarkandas reed etc. doesn't sink. You could make these tips from titanium tube with it open ended and it would still stay afloat.

This test float has a solid steel nail as antenna and it stays afloat if somewhat top-heavy:
IMG_0742.JPG
I made a couple of these a few years ago as prizes in a tff quiz. I made them out of Norfolk Reed which is a great material for such floats (no need for plastic, which is a bonus). They look like normal wagglers from a distance but have the sensitivity of an insert waggler. The trick is to make sure that there's two holes at the very bottom of the tip on either side, and that they're big enough to allow water through readily!

And you need to varnish the inside of the tip!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

🤔
Last edited by OldRod on Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

DaceAce wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:41 pm
OldRod wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:22 pm Ah ok thanks Mark - I see now. The buoyancy that keeps it afloat is the small part of the body of the float (suitably shotted) still showing below the tip, which would be difficult to see on its own, but very sensitive, and the tip, as you say, has no buoyancy, but very visible.
I think I've got it now.
Tight lines
Keith
Not quite.

None of the buoyant part of the body has to be still showing above the surface of the water; part of the denser than water tip will still show and stay afloat above the surface until the fish pulls it under.
Here is my float with solid steel (about 7 times denser than water) tip with just a bit of the tip floating above the water with the buoyant bady of balsa entirely submerged. Try this out yourself.

IMG_1592a.jpg
IMG_1593 a.jpg
Confused again now Mark. In your example, how is the dense (like me!) steel staying above water? Why doesn't it sink? If there's enough shot to sink the buoyant bit, what's holding the steel up? Is some shot on the bottom?
I must confess I've not done a practise run, but I will when I can.
Thanks again
Atb
Keith

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

View bouacy as a measure of the entire float. So long as the float + shot weighs less than the water they displace, it will float, not matter what the tip is made from. For example, if the entire float + shot weighs 8g and only displaces 7ml of water then it will float.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

Thanks Santiago - that makes sense. I am going to make up a little test rig.

Return to “Fishing Films”