Waggler Fishing

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
DaceAce
Eel

Re: Waggler Fishing

Post by DaceAce »

One to get your brain cells' ticking, Part 7:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Thanks for that Mark. I really enjoyed it, particularly as, after a long wait, I can at last disagree with you about something!

I’m with you on drift beaters (never heard of the modern take you mention!) which I find clunky and clumsy, though I do sometimes use them as bodied wagglers to take advantage of the large sight tip at distance.

On the lift method …… noooooooooo! I do see what you are getting at but my lift floats as all reverse goose, crow or seagull using the thinnest tips. They are rarely more than 5-6 inches long and only require a BB shot, sometimes a No. 1. I’m currently experimenting with putting a small amount of shot beneath the float, not to cock it but simply so I can get the bottom shot to a No.4.

I rarely target Carp as in your experiment, though I have caught small Carp under 1 lb using the lift method. I can’t say why but it has proved my most successful method for Tench, regardless of the time of year, unless there is a lot of wind and choppy water. It has also brought me some of my best Bream. Roach, Ide and, to my complete surprise, Crucian, have also fallen to it.

As you say, experiment and do what you enjoy. There’s something about the lift method that makes me enjoy it more than any other, particularly next to lily pads and on a sloping bottom.

So, why the lack of take up from match anglers? Could it be that it’s a slow method of fishing, that’s it is perhaps rather too complicated and takes time to learn when to strike. Also that, as you say, I miss a few bites! The Russian Roulette of float fishing! However, all that I can say is that it is fun and on an awful lot of difficult days, it has saved me from a blank.

One last thing, you do need to move the shot and experiment. Anything between 1 and 3 inches. But the fact is that’s some times 2 inches doesn’t get me a single bite when 1 inch leads to a hat full!

I’ve yet to find a float movement more satisfying than my reverse quill suddenly popping up out of the water! Also, after listening to your piece, I’m going to have to try it on the River Lea!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Ally
Silver Bream

Post by Ally »

As many theories as fishermen. I think people dream up explanations why their favourites work.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Ally wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:47 am As many theories as fishermen. I think people dream up explanations why their favourites work.
There’s a lot of truth in that. Your brain has to do something with all of those hours spent looking at a float or working a lure. My favourite the the old lure anglers idea that you have to faith in a lure for it to catch fish! I’m 100% behind that :Chuckle:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Strangely the end blob of peacock was regularly used on the West London Reservoirs including Ray Mumford - where waves were up to 3ft high.

Ray was also a Matchman and a successful one at that!

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

No easily swallowable bait in this one....

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Thanks Mark. Another one I’ll be showing my girlfriend.

Phil

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Waggler Fishing Part 9 - Holding Back a Waggler On the River:

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Very informative.Looking forward to the next one.

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

The latest video:

Return to “Fishing Films”