CANE CATAPULT

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Grumpy
Arctic Char

Re: CANE CATAPULT

Post by Grumpy »

:Thumb: That is beauty.Any idea what wood it is?Some lovely spalting and bags of character. :Thumb:

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Thats really nice!
Well done mate, great job, and a fine pedigree!

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

I have a couple of cattys, one is made of something called plastic I believe , the one that usually comes with me is this one, plain, a bit rough round the edge but works just fine.Not really bothered if it gets stood on, or indeed lost on the bank somewhere.

After reading this thread,I realised that amongst my meagre forest ( more like a copse really ) of cane, I had several pieces that would come together to make a passable Split cane Catty. I can honestly say that the cane used is vintage,from couple of shortened, and damaged butt sections of split cane rods,there are whipping “shadows” on one of the arms, but they just I think add to object. The handle as you can see is of genuine vintage stock, from a Fosters of Ashbourne rod, they all came together after a bit of fettling in the workshop over two days. the button and spreader are made form some seasoned Beech which I have a small stock of.
The brasswork is from other recovered rod parts.I never throw anything away.

It will obviously be called “The Colonel” but I fear it may only see the bank on special occasions.

Here are “Scruffy “ and the Colonel side by side .

:Hat:

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Wow! A work of art!
Love it...... I can see a few more being shown shortly... no self respecting TFF''r should be with out one!

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Here is my offering, an artisanal "Dennis the Menace" type catapult. It took about 3 hours to knock up yesterday and that probably shows! The bamboo came from the garden and has been seasoning for 2 years. The centre block is a piece of wood from an old wardrobe. The wooden knob on the end of the handle is one that I turned for the butt cap on a cane rod. The elastic was some spare that I had and the pouch came from a catapult I no longer use.
The elastic is a tight push fit onto cut down partially threaded screws, the threaded section was cut off.
I carried out a comparison with a commercially available catty that has metal arms and a larger pouch using 20mm boilies. The "Dennis the Menace" was consistently 5 yards longer. I think this is because the bamboo flexes as well as the elastic and propels the boilie further as a result.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Denis the Menace MK2
I demonstrated the Denis the Menace Mk1 to a friend and he was apparently impressed with it's performance so I decided to make him one for Xmas.
The materials are as per Mk1 with some whipping added for strength and aesthetics. I've added a blob of 2 part epoxy to the top of each screw and painted them with black Hammerite. The pouch was made out of leather from my girlfriends old handbag (Bless her!) and hand sewn to the pattern posted elsewhere on the forum. I can't remember who posted it but thank you!
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

It looks fine.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”