How Fly Fishing Line is made

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Mark
Head Bailiff

How Fly Fishing Line is made

Post by Mark »

One for all the fly chappies on the forum, I found it quite interesting.

Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Mr B
Arctic Char

Re: How Fly Fishing Line is made

Post by Mr B »

Just watched that... very interesting and a great advert.
I know what my next line will be.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

It is a good advert and they do make good products. Indeed for any sinking line and many spey/double handed running water applications they are my line of choice BUT give me a PVC line like the still excellent Cortland 444 Peach floater, or even better a good silk line for stillwater and general river trouting any day! Both require a bit of care, more so with the silk obviously, but I've yet to find anything better in forty years of trying. Airflo have always struggled to make a good floating line that lies straight, part of the issue is the braid core and its lack of stretch, part of it is the PE polymers themselves. A good silk line that's well cared for is almost going to last forever and as my grandfather's lines still prove, will outlast the users lifetime by quite a margin. 100% natural fibre and so 100% plastic free, limited stretch (much of that depending on weave) but unfortunately quite expensive and limited in sizes and tapers.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

I still have my Cortland 444 Peach and it should be nearing retirement now.

The big joke about the first Airflow lines that they had automatic retrieval, the twists in them were so bad that you just cast them out and watch them curl back.

The sinking lines were superb especially introduction of the 6 rated line. Loch style fishing on Rutland and it was the only thing to get down deep and keep within the rules.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I went for a job as sales rep at airflo. On the way home after not getting the job I called in to see Bill Price at Builth Tackle shop. I told him I was unsucsessful with the position and he replied "You've had a very lucky excape my boy, I used to do that job" I felt much better after that.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Return to “Fishing Films”