Controllers for surface fishing

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Freeliner
Stickleback

Controllers for surface fishing

Post by Freeliner »

Good evening all, was wondering what other forum members use as a controller for surface fishing. I'm a devotee of the Babybell cheese wax and occasionally make use of twigs which I partially split down the centre and jam onto the line.
Best wishes. Freeliner.

Duckett
Tench

Re: Controllers for surface fishing

Post by Duckett »

I have to admit that I only use a controller float when I need to add casting weight. In all other cases, I freeline without a controller.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I rarely need a controller on the waters and much prefer to freeline. If I do its a twig whittled at the ends with two float rubbers and a few small shot either side

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I never use them. I prefer to fish close in and find a MKIV carp rod will flick out a crust far enough for my needs. Most of the time I'm fishing so close that an underarm swing is enough to place the bait. On the rare occasion when I have needed a bit more range I have used a twig held on with two float bands.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I never use a controller and my response would be exactly the same as Beresford's although I do keep some Edam wax just in case.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Snape wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:48 pm I never use a controller and my response would be exactly the same as Beresford's although I do keep some Edam wax just in case.
Any excuse to have a piece of cheese to nibble eh! As an aside, Edam was one of my Mum’s favourite baits.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

I use the Babybel wax too but prefer freelining if possible. One little trick for a bit of distance when freelining dog biscuits is to use pva mesh. Put a small handful of biscuits in, tie it up and nick it on the hook. You get casting weight plus a bunch of freebies around your hookbait.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

GregF wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:15 pm One little trick for a bit of distance when freelining dog biscuits is to use pva mesh. Put a small handful of biscuits in, tie it up and nick it on the hook. You get casting weight plus a bunch of freebies around your hookbait.
and even add a stone for some extra weight if needed.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Slice of bread, place hook with dog biscuit or similar on to bread slice, 10-15 freebie biscuits tightly encase biscuits in sliced bread, cast and watch bread unfold and biscuits disperse, catch a carp
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I like fishing for them amongst reeds and lily beds where I can drape the line over a stem or pad. At one local water the fish will very rarely take a floating bait in open water but they tend to drop their guard in the pads. It can be quite exciting trying to extract them from such places. I've yet to catch a really big carp off the top but I keep trying.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”