Homer Roach Pole 1887-1904

An area to discuss your cane fishing poles.
Fredline
Tench

Homer Roach Pole 1887-1904

Post by Fredline »

I have just stolen this Homers of Forest Gate roach pole from a certain site for £30 and had every intention of giving it a full restoration, judging from the pictures the seller showed, until it popped through the letter box today. For at least 120 years old this 19'+, 7 piece item is a magnificent example of the pole makers art and will now be treated with the respect it deserves and I will only be preserving the integrity of the pole. It has a couple of issues, the caps are missing. No surprise there. The 2 tips sections are broken but will be an easy fix. The butt section has cracks at the ferrule end. Again quite a simple fix as the ferrules are lined. The wraps are black------------------or are they? No, they are in fact red and green but have darkened over the years, so black will be used to replace any that are missing. The butt cap carries the legend "W F Homer Maker 157 Forest Lane London E". Homers were at this address from 1887 until 1904 when they moved to 105 Woodgrange Road. To say I am pleased is an understatement.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Fredline on Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Aitch
Pike

Re: Homer Roach Pole 1877-1904

Post by Aitch »

Nicely bagged... a lovely pole it'll be once finished :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Post by Gobio Gobio »

omg, I just passed out after a heart stopping moment. Superb, good for you!

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Well done a great project to take on.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Re: Homer Roach Pole 1887-1904

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Tremendous find indeed - bet that made your month never mind day. As a matter of interest do you know when Homers moved to Forest Gate - London E7 as I have one of their more modern rods.

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

Brilliant purchase. If I hadn't already bought such a huge pile of restoration projects and had to stop myself looking, that would have cost you a lot more. :Thumb:
Any chance of a blow by blow account of the restoration once it gets under way? :Hat:
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

PershoreHarrier wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:39 pm Tremendous find indeed - bet that made your month never mind day. As a matter of interest do you know when Homers moved to Forest Gate - London E7 as I have one of their more modern rods.
They moved from 157 Forest Lane Forest Gate in 1904 to 105 Woodgrange Road and to 135 Woodgrange Road in 1945. They stayed there until they closed on the mid 1970's.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

EricW wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:43 pm Brilliant purchase. If I hadn't already bought such a huge pile of restoration projects and had to stop myself looking, that would have cost you a lot more. :Thumb:
Any chance of a blow by blow account of the restoration once it gets under way? :Hat:
Thanks Eric, the cheque is in the post. It will be a minimal restoration as I just luv the "patina".
John Bickerdyke.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Fredline wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:51 pm
PershoreHarrier wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:39 pm Tremendous find indeed - bet that made your month never mind day. As a matter of interest do you know when Homers moved to Forest Gate - London E7 as I have one of their more modern rods.
They moved from 157 Forest Lane Forest Gate in 1904 to 105 Woodgrange Road and to 135 Woodgrange Road in 1945. They stayed there until they closed on the mid 1970's.
Thanks Fredline but being from the provinces I am not familiar with the suburbs of the capital - hence the daft question is Woodgrange Road located in Forest Gate E7? Thanks :Hat:

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

PershoreHarrier wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:57 pm
Fredline wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:51 pm
Thanks Fredline but being from the provinces I am not familiar with the suburbs of the capital - hence the daft question is Woodgrange Road located in Forest Gate E7? Thanks :Hat:
Absolutely, it is one of the major roads in Forest Gate.
John Bickerdyke.

Return to “Cane Fishing Poles”