prawns

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
AntiqueAngler
Gudgeon

prawns

Post by AntiqueAngler »

Just had a cracking day out fishing with my brother,we have not fished together for 20 years or more!
He introduced me to an old brick pit near his home in Warrington.
Using prawn as bait I have never caught so many different species,hybrid,roach,rudd,perch,bream,tench,chub.eels and a huge common carp which took 20 minutes to land on 2 lb line and my old fibreglass rod.Really enjoyed it after a long time off the bank,can't wait for another trip soon.

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Re: prawns

Post by Wanderer »

Fishing with prawns is problematic for me.
I end up eating the Bait.

:fish:
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

AntiqueAngler
Gudgeon

Post by AntiqueAngler »

Me too,always make sure I take plenty!
I first used them many years ago when I took my dad fishing,he had asbestosis and used to spend a lot of the time asleep in his chair but it gave my mam a break.I remember him once asking me to throw a few in for him and at same time popping a couple in my mouth which were absolutely rancid and I spat out immediately.on remonstrating with him he replied,'I asked you to throw them in not bloody eat um.'It turned out they had been stood on the shed floor since last outing 2 weeks previously!

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

I try to always keep a few Atlantic shell on prawns in the freezer.
I have had more success with shell on prawns and apart from that, I find them the best eating.
Far more flavour than shelled prawns.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

Prawms are probably my favourite bait over tha last few years
I suspect that there is not much in our waters that will not eat them and I usually have a bag in the freezer.
i can quickly think of 8 and possibly more species Ive caught using them.

AntiqueAngler
Gudgeon

Post by AntiqueAngler »

I totally agree,in particular they seem to attract my favourite species,Perch.
As regards freezing this is something I never do,purchasing fresh off the shelf I microwave for 1 minute(to toughen skin) and a little sea salt.I like the fact you never know what you are going to catch.
Back out Friday for another session.
Cheers,
Stevehttps://www.traditionalfisherman.com/viewforum.php?f=28

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

I had some great days fishing over the last 2 seasons with prawns, often catching when other baits weren't. Also had a few days when I only took prawns as bait (because they had worked well the previous times) and not had a bite!
They certainly accounted for the better fish.
All too easy to scoff the lot though.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

There are big warm water prawns and small cold-water prawns. The larger ones I cut into sections and perch love them! The smaller cold-water version, when sucked by a fish, looks like a piece of soggy bread and is liked by all sorts - roach, rudd, etc.

Some can be frozen - on the packet.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Not sure that prawns count as a truly traditional bait, but effective they certainly can be. I occasionally pushnet in my local estuary and the shrimps make fine eating and bait! In years gone by I would boil them with added dye and then salt them for float fishing for summer salmon. Cockles and mussels are also great baits for tench and carp

AntiqueAngler
Gudgeon

Post by AntiqueAngler »

Seems there are a few like minded anglers out there,can't wait til Friday,going out tommorrow at noon to fish into the evening.besides prawns have purchased a jar of cockcles.Will keep all updated.
cheers,
Steve

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”