Milwards Matchmaster Project.

The Milwards Rods forum.
Silfield
Brown Trout

Milwards Matchmaster Project.

Post by Silfield »

Today I had the excitement and trepidation of opening a bit of drainpipe that turned up on the door step.
I was after a new project and had watched this rod not sell a couple of times on 'that place' due, I think to it looking a bit rough and being a collection only listing. Having spoken to the seller l arranged a courier and got the rod for £9.50
There are a couple of issues to sort out including a rotten butt cap, a slight set in the tip, the need for a new set of rings and all ferrules need re-glueing but I am a happy chap. The rod looks to be original and the correct length (12') but I am unsure if the female ferrule on the butt section is correct, I will have to get a photo posted!
Could anyone in the know please comment on the black hexagon logo and if the twin taper tip ever had a written script instead of the logo more commonly seen.

ImageImage
Thanks in anticipation.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Milwards Matchmaster Project.

Post by Pallenpool »

That is a veritable bargain Ian, well done - you are starting on the long long road of tackle gains. Look forward to the results. How’s the Altex coming along? By the way.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Pallenpool wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:42 pm That is a veritable bargain Ian, well done - you are starting on the long long road of tackle gains. Look forward to the results. How’s the Altex coming along? By the way.
:Hat:
Hello Peter,
Thanks for the comments. Afraid the Altex hasn't been touched since we last spoke-it does get taken out of the pouch regularly so that I can have a play though.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

They are a very nice quality rod I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The one I have has red /black jasper whippings and I've not seen that style of transfer before.
You certainly had a bargain I had to pay £20 for mine, good luck with your restoration :Thumb:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Lol,..........i was gonna bid on that but decided i have enough to do atm , glad it's gone to a good home .well done

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Gilbert wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:47 pm Lol,..........i was gonna bid on that but decided i have enough to do atm , glad it's gone to a good home .well done
Oops! Sorry :whistle:
I often wonder, when having been outbid, if the highest bidder is a forum member.
Washington Irving

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

no worries
i thought there was a chance if a bidding battle could be averted someone would have a nice surprise ----and i have 2 builds ongoing atm. enjoy it !

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Thanks to the help and generosity of a couple of members on here the rod is nearly finished, it has had its first coat or two of varnish and should be ready for an outing soon.
The rod turned out to be a bit more of a challenge than first thought but hopefully everything has been addressed.
All of the whipping on the nodes and on the butt section, except for the thread on the butt ring, was good enough to salvage and I found Fishawk Scarlet thread a close match for those that needed replacing. Depending on the light, the colour match is either 'near perfect' or 'pretty close' but outside it seems good. After another couple of coats of varnish, a knock back of the gloss finish and a bit of sunshine it should blend in well.
One thing I couldn't bring myself to remove were the file marks in the handle, equally spaced every inch. A small reminder of its past life.

Washington Irving

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good afternoon, I had a 12ft Matchmaster a lovely lightweight rod ,if you are worried about the file marks why not buy some waterproof matching wood filler then sand it back .Terry

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

ReelMaker wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:40 pm Good afternoon, I had a 12ft Matchmaster a lovely lightweight rod ,if you are worried about the file marks why not buy some waterproof matching wood filler then sand it back .Terry
Thank you Reelmaker, that is good to know.
I had planned to keep the 'rule' as is, it hints of its previous owner and history which is something I was keen to preserve.
Washington Irving

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”