My local Bakers breadcrumbs.

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Mr B
Arctic Char

My local Bakers breadcrumbs.

Post by Mr B »

I popped into my local bakers a couple of hours ago for a cheese a pickle roll.
While I was in there I picked up two bags of breadcrumbs for £1 a bag.
I thought it will make a great addition to my own ground bait mix and will also be just the job for a cheese past mix as well.
I'm not sure if your bakers sell it but its well worth looking out for.

Mr B
Ps, this is something you might already do if not, you might want to give it a go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Re: My local Bakers breadcrumbs.

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I have never seen them for sale up here sadly.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Never see them in the bakers in this neck of the woods.If I want some cheapo crumb I buy the cheapest brown loaf Tescos sell,about 40p,run it through wifeys food processor and hey presto,job done.Use it fresh or freeze for later.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

The bakeries down here give it away as it is just a waste product from the slicers. If you have a large Hovis, Roberts, Kingsmill, Warburtons or even a Gregg's bakery near you it might be worthwhile dropping them an email to see if they have a sack or ten going free.
Some of the big bakeries produce upwards of 35,000 loaves of sliced bread per hour so produce plenty of crumb, but it wont be as good as what Mr B is getting! :Thumb:
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

I would think the "big boys" have all that crum taken care of? Who knows???
After meeting with a fellow TFF member a few weeks ago I I have taken a leaf from his book..
I have drying in my old landing net that swings around in my van slices of Warburton's thick sliced bread drying out for my next day on the bank.
I soak it, mash it and thats it, but can also add a bit of the above local crumb..
i really don't mind the two quid.. its a cracking Bakers..
And we think we get up early!!! Baking bread before my alam goes off! ( I sleep like a top!)

Mr B
Ps ...its funny how we have our own favourites!
I remember 50 years ago mixing dried blood into our ground bait for tench with my old dad..
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

You can buy breadcrumbs in supermarkets. Look in the baking aisle near to the flour. It isn't expensive and does not have any crust so nothing floats.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

And to think my works is about a half a mile from Warburtons here in Bolton, I bet I can't get any waste crumb of them though, a ducks arse comes to mind.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

A lot of bakeries will have regular means of disposing of bread and crumbs otherwise they would have to pay to dump it. Pig and poultry farms used to take it, maybe still do. Over here boulangeries sell their stale bread for around €7 a sack to poultry keepers. I used to save our stale bread and put it through a blender, but the hassle wasn't worth it. You can buy a few kilos of coarse bread crumb groundbait for a fiver.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I bought a 20kg sack from Fishing Bait World. With free delivery on orders over £25 it works out at £0.69p per 500 grammes ... or 62.5p per pound.

https://www.fishingbaitworld.co.uk/prod ... or-fishing
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:21 am And to think my works is about a half a mile from Warburtons here in Bolton, I bet I can't get any waste crumb of them though, a ducks arse comes to mind.

Thanks
BB
I frequently used to spend time knee deep in crumb and scrap bread at the 'Back O' Th Banks' bakery when it was behind Hereford Street. Had some good nights out in Bolton in my younger days!
Those were the days when the chief engineer would offer you a basket of bread when you had completed your job and ready to hit the long road home.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”