Hardy Altex No. 2 Mk VI ... yes ... 6 !

The Hardy Reels forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Hardy Altex No. 2 Mk VI ... yes ... 6 !

Post by AshbyCut »

I've been able to get my hands on one of these ... The Hardy Altex No. 2 Mk VI ... which John Drewett refers to in his book with "which must be the hardest of all the production marks to acquire" ... and "only one or two dozen having been made." (It seems even factory records don't record how many.)

Not only that ... but it comes with the original box, a cotton draw string bag, a spare spool with spare clutch adjuster knob in black with screw, and to top it all the original 'care and maintenance' leaflet !

The white nylon adjuster mounted on the reel has the Hardy 'castle' logo impressed into the head ... and requires no additional screw to hold it in place.

Simply couldn't resist !!!

PS ... apologies for the earlier typo ... I do ... of course ... mean it is the Mk. VI !!!!!!!!!!!! :Scared:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Re: Hardy Altex No. 2 Mk VI ... yes ... 6 !

Post by StefanDuma »

Nice find a rare reel.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Astounding! What a lovely thing to own. Well snaffled sir!!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Well done Mal, that is a lovely example :Hat:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Very nice find Mal, a wonderful addition to the collection.

Does the white nylon drag stay on the spool once the spool is removed. And the black one on the other spool, is that a separate thing or is it like the locked on adjusters on the Exalta reels.

Wal.

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

Yet another nice find I’ve never seen one of those. Well done Mal

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Now, that is both impressive and very interesting! Is there a date anywhere?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The leaflet describes the reel as "The latest model of a well-known reel, re-designed to incorporate modern materials and manufacturing techniques" and "a new design of clutch which eliminates the loose washers of the past" or, as John Drewett says, "Hardy's attempt to cut production costs had by now caused such items as the ratchet slide, spool bearing, and clutch knob to be made of plastic."
Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:19 am Does the white nylon drag stay on the spool once the spool is removed. And the black one on the other spool, is that a separate thing or is it like the locked on adjusters on the Exalta reels.
The drag adjusters are separate Wal, Sir ... so can be used with either spool. They are a push fit onto the new mount.

The leaflet describes the reel as "The latest model of a well-known reel, re-designed to incorporate modern materials and manufacturing techniques" and "a new design of clutch which eliminates the loose washers of the past" or, as John Drewett says, "Hardy's attempt to cut production costs had by now caused such items as the ratchet slide, spool bearing, and clutch knob to be made of plastic."

The ratchet slide ...

The knobs screw onto the central shaft, and the increasing diameter spreads the 4 "'leaves" of the spool bearing to give increasing friction against the inner surface of the spool.

Last edited by AshbyCut on Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Cat wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:58 am Now, that is both impressive and very interesting! Is there a date anywhere?
Cat, Sir ... John Drewett gives the Altex production date range as "1932 - 1966," and with so few of the Mk, VI made I can only assume that this model was only made in the last year of that range.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Amazing to find so complete and in such condition! :Hat: Have you a secret tunnel into the Hardy museum? :Sun:

Return to “Hardy Reels”