Duffield's groundbait

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Re: Duffield's groundbait

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:46 pm
Mole-Patrol wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:07 am
Wallys-Cast wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:15 am We had a choice of white or brown crumb plus a cloud bait that was called fine brown and by the smell of it, it was made from ground up dog buiscuits. That could be the stuff you are thinking of. Especially as Duffields were animal feed makers.

Wal.
I used the latter when match fishing. Not that I used to winalot

:Scared:
Nor me Clive, mostly a few sprats.
We are a right pair of pedigree chumps.

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Post by NorfolkTinca »

[/quote]
I used the latter when match fishing. Not that I used to winalot
[/quote]

Very good!
My biggest fish is not necessarily my best

Mumf
Stickleback

Post by Mumf »

When I was a lad in the 70’s ,all the was available ( like others here) was white or brown crumb. Then I remember in 1981/2 Marks and Marlow launching their ‘Secret Squirrel’ ground bait. It was at that point,it seems, that match anglers drifted towards ‘Continental’ groundbaits. Anyone remember Secret Squirrel. If I recall correctly,it was a mixture of bread,molehill soil and vanilla essence.

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Post by NorfolkTinca »

Mumf wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:15 am When I was a lad in the 70’s ,all the was available ( like others here) was white or brown crumb. Then I remember in 1981/2 Marks and Marlow launching their ‘Secret Squirrel’ ground bait. It was at that point,it seems, that match anglers drifted towards ‘Continental’ groundbaits. Anyone remember Secret Squirrel. If I recall correctly,it was a mixture of bread,molehill soil and vanilla essence.
Ivan was a big advocate of molehill soil, so it might well have done. Only someone as clever as him could scoop up soil that the moles had kindly dug up for him, and sell it...
My biggest fish is not necessarily my best

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

The thing is; molehill soil is just like the soil you can dig up yourself. In some cases molehills are made up of clay, sand and stones. There is no uniformity.

You would be better using Benny Ashurst's Black Magic soil. That was riddled leaf mould.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”