Float display ideas

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Fredline
Tench

Re: Float display ideas

Post by Fredline »

Gudgeon Basher wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:12 am
Fredline wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:06 am
The floats are all Homers, a Thames style with a cork body around a hollow celluloid stem. The line is stopped with a bone plug that is usually missing. Half of the floats shown have a replacement plug made for me by a friend who makes scale models of Panzer tanks.
Are the bone plugs always white/uncolored or have you seen other colours too?

GB
[/quote]I have seen red, green and black but how many are original is open to debate. Most are uncoloured whalebone.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Fredline wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:52 am
The floats are all Homers, a Thames style with a cork body around a hollow celluloid stem. The line is stopped with a bone plug that is usually missing. Half of the floats shown have a replacement plug made for me by a friend who makes scale models of Panzer tanks.

GB
I have seen red, green and black but how many are original is open to debate. Most are uncoloured whalebone.
[/quote]

They are certainly stunning are you ever brave enough to use them? I'm not sure I would be not with my frequent errant casts into any bankside vegetation with in 20 feet of me

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Gudgeon Basher wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:06 am
Fredline wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:52 am

GB
I have seen red, green and black but how many are original is open to debate. Most are uncoloured whalebone.
They are certainly stunning are you ever brave enough to use them? I'm not sure I would be not with my frequent errant casts into any bankside vegetation with in 20 feet of me
[/quote]

No never have been or ever will be brave enough to use one.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

A drilled plank, given stable feet and painted.

These Allcocks below are fixed onto an image I copied and printed, after expanding to fit the frame from a junk shop

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Nobby wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:02 pm

A drilled plank, given stable feet and painted.

These Allcocks below are fixed onto an image I copied and printed, after expanding to fit the frame from a junk shop

Great idea with the plank Nobby this would definitely give me the access to the floats that I want but keep them out of Mrs Basher way as I do hate to interrupt her cleaning routine. :Scared:

I wonder if you can let me know if the Allcocks float on the far left has any markings etc to say it's an Allcocks as I have a couple like this myself but never knew who made them, is there a way to tell? Lovely collection of floats.

I have a couple of new additions myself as one very generous Tffer after seeing this post sent me a lovely little gift that I will reveal in a day or two once I manage to take a photo or 3 that does his gift justice.

Sorry to leave you all waiting but I've been a little under the weather for a few days but on the mend now.

Regards GB

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

No there was no marking but I was fairly happy it was one of theirs....cork on porcupine quill with a rather double conical body just as in one of the Guides.

Allcocks bought in a lot of floats in the Sixties, whereas they'd made all their own thirty years before...and earlier. I have a box of shaped cork bodies here reputed to be 100 years old and from their float making room when the Sealey family worked there.

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

ImageImageImageWell after dozens of photos to try and show these beauties at their very best these are the best I could manage.

I can't thank Sussex Micky enough for his wonderful gift particularly the lovely little sketch I will treasure the floats and sketch and they will take pride of place in my modest traditional collection.

Thank you Micky you are a true gent.

Regards Steve

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”