Floats and split shot

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Floats and split shot

Post by ReelMaker »

Good evening fellow friends,I’ve been wondering if one only has 5 floats and a tin of shot,any ideas on storage these few items in your bag sounds a small amount of items but I’ve given the unneeded things away,now I’m only fishing a small mill stream very near to where I live,thank you Terry.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Floats and split shot

Post by Wallys-Cast »

An old cigar box makes a good tackle container. A divider or two glued inside and it will hold everything safely.

Glad to hear you are getting out a bit Terry. Small stream fishing takes us back to our youth and happier days.

Best wishes.
Wal.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

If your floats are small, a spectacle case (hard shell type) can be utilised for a few floats and bits and bobs. Easy to slide into a pocket too :Thumb:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:09 am If your floats are small, a spectacle case (hard shell type) can be utilised for a few floats and bits and bobs. Easy to slide into a pocket too :Thumb:
That is a great idea, I must have several knocking around as I have been one of specsavers best customers! :Hahaha:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

I carry half a dozen floats, a tin of shot, a tin of hooks, a disgorger and scissors in a 'flat fifty' cigarette tin. I have another bag with all those items in a Lindop 'young anglers kit tin. Both containers being very traditional.

Mumf
Stickleback

Post by Mumf »

I find that somewhere like Home Bargains usually has all sorts of sizes of plastic storage boxes in many different sizes. In fact,all my tackle is in these kinds of containers,as I refuse to pay for the same thing with ‘Preston Innovations’ or ‘Guru’ stamped on the lid! My Scottish shortbread tin is a gem too,as my pole winders fit perfectly in it.

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

Mumf wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:58 am I find that somewhere like Home Bargains usually has all sorts of sizes of plastic storage boxes in many different sizes. In fact,all my tackle is in these kinds of containers,as I refuse to pay for the same thing with ‘Preston Innovations’ or ‘Guru’ stamped on the lid! My Scottish shortbread tin is a gem too,as my pole winders fit perfectly in it.
Wilkinsons sell three sizes of plastic containers, the smallest that I think is £1.50 takes everything I need when roving and the lid is reliable for keeping everything in the right section, which is my main bugbear with repurposed boxes.

Mumf
Stickleback

Post by Mumf »

Homer Simpson wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:31 am
Mumf wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:58 am I find that somewhere like Home Bargains usually has all sorts of sizes of plastic storage boxes in many different sizes. In fact,all my tackle is in these kinds of containers,as I refuse to pay for the same thing with ‘Preston Innovations’ or ‘Guru’ stamped on the lid! My Scottish shortbread tin is a gem too,as my pole winders fit perfectly in it.
Wilkinsons sell three sizes of plastic containers, the smallest that I think is £1.50 takes everything I need when roving and the lid is reliable for keeping everything in the right section, which is my main bugbear with repurposed boxes.
Sounds like you have that sorted!

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Some good suggestions above. I've hung on to 3 sizes of the grey plastic Stewart tackle boxes from my childhood. The smallest is the one I most often carry in my cycle panniers and would be ample for your needs. A large elastic band stops it opening when navigating the numerous potholes that blight all of our local roads!

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

Liphook wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:47 pm Some good suggestions above. I've hung on to 3 sizes of the grey plastic Stewart tackle boxes from my childhood. The smallest is the one I most often carry in my cycle panniers and would be ample for your needs. A large elastic band stops it opening when navigating the numerous potholes that blight all of our local roads!
The ones in wilkinsons are very similar in style, but the plastic is not brittle, infact it's near unbreakable.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”