Le Grand Livre des Moulinets Francais

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Coral Maestro
Chub

Le Grand Livre des Moulinets Francais

Post by Coral Maestro »

I received this comprehensive book on french fishing reels last Xmas and thought it might be of interest to some of the forum members. It has a detailed section on Mitchell reels as well as many of the more obscure makes. It's packed with colour and black+white photographs as well as a lot of line drawings. All in all a worthwhile purchase and for those who struggle with the french language there is a condensed english language version.

Here is a link to the condensed English language version:
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/203275918554?ha ... Swe7VgI8Ms
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Re: Le Grand Livre des Moulinets Francais

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Are those your reels acting as paper weights? A Doplerr, SAP / DEP and a Baby Vamp are on my wish list :drool:

I have paid for a SAP 704 but it hasn't arrived and they seller is not answering messages. I don't think it is a scam. More like the seller is on holiday. I am also in a friendly dispute with the author of your book. I ordered and paid for the companion book to yours. He sent me a much more expensive book on the early days of Mitchell reels. He is also on holiday and cannot resolve the matter for another fortnight. That is French life for you :Hahaha:

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

What a lovely book.
I didn't realise the French made so many reels!
I have always fancied one and a nice French made rod.
When I was a teen ager I spent a little time in Paris and loved to watch the fisherman on the banks of the river Seine. ( using roach poles mostly)
My cousin Suzi had been living in France now for the last 25 years and keep promising myself a fishing holiday there.
Be nice to have a French "set up" to fish with.
I'm not sure if we have a section on French rods on TFF, I will have to look.
Yes, what a great book, thanks for showing us, I want one now!
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Don't let Banksy see it - he has been drooling over a Doperr for years

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Barbelseeker wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:14 am Don't let Banksy see it - he has been drooling over a Doperr for years
I seem to think that he got one. I've been looking for a year or so without success. Today, I received a cheque from the seller of the SAP reel I thought that I had bought. No explanation and no response to my messages :Confused:

Mr. B; Regards French rods. You will be lucky to find anything in cane or glass other than fly rods or casting rods for lures. They didn't fish with float rods and ledger rods until recently. The prices of built cane rods, called canne refendu or bambou refendu is very high compared to UK prices.

The old French reels are usually in three sizes - leger, i.e. light, designed for trout and perch. Mi-leger, medium, for pike, zander, etc. Or lourd, sometimes described as saumon / mer, or in English salmon / sea. Mitchell broke the mold with their range that was aimed at the Anglo / American markets. French centrepins, tambour tournant, reels are mainly crude and tinny. Decantel are similar to a Silex, but not as good and Bouriant made some reels specifically for tournament casting. You can't fish with them.

Check the American fleabay site as quite a few French companies tried their luck in that market and the reels are now seriously under valued compared to French second hand prices. Bonne courage!

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

No, he definitely hasn’t or he would have shown me with a big grin on his face. I did manage to locate one but for some reason the seller hasn’t completed his end. Shame really because I know that this is his hearts desire

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Yes, I have had dreams about this reel!
Not sure why the seller has gone cold, but such is life.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Evert might be your man. Have you tried asking him?

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Ive known Bernard Caminade for more than 25 years and he has always produced some great books and he regularly updates them. Always full of information, somewhere I have his book on cane rods.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:49 pm Are those your reels acting as paper weights? A Doplerr, SAP / DEP and a Baby Vamp are on my wish list :drool:

I have paid for a SAP 704 but it hasn't arrived and they seller is not answering messages. I don't think it is a scam. More like the seller is on holiday. I am also in a friendly dispute with the author of your book. I ordered and paid for the companion book to yours. He sent me a much more expensive book on the early days of Mitchell reels. He is also on holiday and cannot resolve the matter for another fortnight. That is French life for you :Hahaha:
Yes, I'm very lucky to have found a few French gems. The Doperr is a great user reel and coped with a 30lb+ carp. The Crack is a bit on the heavy side for my liking, the Baby Vamp has some issues so hasn't been used and I haven't tried the SAP yet.
I've not seen a SAP 704, what do you plan to use it for?
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”