Aspindale's "Aero No 840." ... erm ... No. 890 !!!

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Aspindale's "Aero No 840." ... erm ... No. 890 !!!

Post by AshbyCut »

Too good to resist at the 'buy it now' inc. delivery price ...

An early Aspindale's "Aero No. 840." A hollow built, 3 piece, 10ft. 6in. all split cane rod. with original makers bag ... looking good enough to be bank-ready with no additional work.

More information when it arrives (couriers allowing !!! :Beg: )

Last edited by AshbyCut on Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Crucian
Eel

Re: Aspindale's "Aero No 840."

Post by Crucian »

I think you'll like this rod Mal...
I had one and loved it, so light, a pleasure to use.
Aspindales knew a thing or two about building float rods, that's for sure.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Crucian wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:27 pm I think you'll like this rod Mal...
I had one and loved it, so light, a pleasure to use.
Aspindales knew a thing or two about building float rods, that's for sure.
Thank you, Sir. I'm fascinated to compare it to the "Avondale" of the same length which I am currently refurbishing.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I too, was wondering how different it might be from an Avondale. 840 is a new one on me, I think. I thought the 10'6" model was an 890?

I'm sure you fellers knew anyway, but Jimmy Aspindale had been the rod shop foreman for Millward before WW2 and they only made the best quality rods. Jimmy was immersed in dam-less hollow-built rods from a young age. Perhaps that's why he came up with so many variants of the different rod lengths?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Nobby wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:55 amI too, was wondering how different it might be from an Avondale. 840 is a new one on me, I think. I thought the 10'6" model was an 890?
The rod arrived this morning ... and the first thing to confirm is that the seller had misread the number ... it is NOT an 840 ... it IS a number 890 !!!

I can confirm that it comes from that original period of 1946 to 1949 when the Aspindale brothers started the company, before their 'fall out,' so it's the earliest rod by this maker which I have owned.

Putting the rod together for the first time, the first thing that struck was how light it is !!! ... a mere 10.8oz (308gr) ... and that's when I had to get the Avondale out to start comparing the two.

The actions are completely different ! "The Aero 890" is a much faster, tippy action, whereas "The Avondale" is more 'through.'

This all became clear when the micrometer came out, and measurements taken as close as I could get to the exact same places close to the ferrules and handles on both rods.

They are as follows, the Aero on top, and the Avondale below ... in millimeters :-

Tip - 2.07 - 5.30 - Centre - 6.96 - 10.11 - Butt -11.40 - 12.80.
Tip - 2.28 - 5.95 - Centre - 7.32 - 9.98 - Butt - 10.36 - 10.87.

The Aero increases by 618% between the fine tip and the handle. The Avondale increases by 476% over the same distance. That's a dramatic difference between two 'lightweight' rods of the same length !!!

The Aero will be an incredibly 'fast striking' rod, even though it is The Avondale which is designated as 'a match rod.'

Needless to say ... I'm becoming increasingly desperate to be able to get out and try what I am sure will be two delightful tiddler snatcher's rods !!!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Aspindale's "Aero No 840." ... erm ... No. 890 !!!

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Thanks for that Mal, it's interesting to see the difference between the two rods.

I have often wondered how accurate Aspindales were when planing strips as I had noticed quite a few differences in Severndale blanks so this has given me the opportunity to give my Avondale a quick measure to see how it compares to yours.

My Avondale.
Tip - 2.25 - 5.85 Centre - 5.94 - 9.38 - Butt - 10.31 - 11.64.

The centre section is the biggest difference between the two and I do appreciate there will be some difference in varnish thickness but it just shows how the action of similar rods can turn out to be so different. It may just be the design was altered to give a slightly different action over the years.

Wal.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Fascinating. Thanks for taking the trouble to measure and post gents

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Very interesting...
As Nobby has said, thanks for taking the trouble to measure the rods and post the results.

As you say Mal, the Aero will be 'tippy' and 'fast striking', the taper is much steeper, being both finer in the tip and larger in the butt.
Being hollow built as well, it is no surprise that the rod feels so light and well balanced in the hand.

When you consider that this rod was designed and built in the late 40's, it was ahead of its time, we didn't see 'Fast taper' rods offered until the 60's, when fibreglass became popular.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Looks fabulous, you just have to love an Aspindale. Superb rods in my opinion :Thumb:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”