Marco 42C

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
NomadTheBiker
Stickleback

Marco 42C

Post by NomadTheBiker »

Hi. I have acquired a Marco rod with the designation 42C written just above the Marco decal. All of the three sections measure 42 ins. It is a beautifully light and well balanced rod, the butt and mid sections are whole cane with a split cane top section. Unfortunately the top section has gone soft, and takes a set each time its bent. I know the rod is pretty worthless, I paid £15 for it, but its such a joy to handle that Id like to make it fishable again. So chaps, what are your suggestions ? Regards James

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Marco 42C

Post by Tengisgol »

Your best bet is to look for a donor tip section from something similar and swap the male ferrule over. You'll need to put a post up here, 'Looking for a donor tip section' and try and get some measurements of the cane across the flats to get similar/same dimensions/actions. You might get lucky. Getting a new tip made will cost you 10x what you paid for the original rod!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi NTB, There is a 42C in my Marco catalogue from 1933. It is described as a cane bottom rod with three sections. Made of mottled cane butt and middle sections with a "lancewood tip section". The cane tip on yours may not be original or maybe a later version. A couple of pics would help identify it.

Sometimes a soft tip needs the cane strips separating and regluing, try twisting the section along its length, if it twists easily it is probably starting to delaminate and this can often be rectified.

Wal.

NomadTheBiker
Stickleback

Post by NomadTheBiker »

Thanks for your replies, chaps. Unfortunately, on closer inspection today I notice that even the middle section has a tenancy to hold a set (its a very through action rod) So I think I just keep it to one side and see if I can purchase another, in good condition. Thanks again, James.

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”